Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul MOE makeover goes horribly wronge! *VIDEO ADDED!*

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    That may be an idea. I'll see if I can winch it out gently, if there is such a thing.... and get it to the 2nd pin drop.
    Larry, you have to put this on youtube. Chapter II of the Wile E Coyote School of gunsmithing.

Feedback Score
    Buck fever ?

Don't feel to bad I was helping a guy put long tube headers on a stang spent 4 hours trying to fit them almost had the motor out then I looked in the box and read the instructions [cut flange to separate headers to fit around steering shaft ]
    15 min later we were done Talk about wanting to bang your head on something.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you hammered it on, maybe you could hammer it off. . . .

Maybe put a good amount of some oil wherever you can get it on there, get the lower well secured (if possible in a way that orients it down so you can get more force on it), then get a block of wood and put it through the stock and hammer it as close to the stock as possible and see if that will get it moving. I would be somewhat concerned, I guess, about damaging the lower, but surely it wouldn't take so much force to remove it that it would damage the lower. It might help to get a hair dryer (or a more powerful heat gun) and try to heat up the stock to expand it before you try to remove it.
    Last edited by bulbvivid; 03-16-10 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A couple of things come to mind... If you're going to go the winch route I would suggest using 2 pieces of identical strap looped around the sliding shaft part and pulling evenly. If you decide to only use one you'll get absolutely no where due to the obviously tight clearance and creating a side load. You may inadvertently end up damaging a whole lot more than you planned on fixing...
    You might also try using dry ice to shrink the metal, not regular cocktail ice, while heating the Magpul stock with a heat gun/hair dryer and the winch method or try tapping, hard, with a hammer.
    For future reference on metal parts being stuck together there is nothing better in the world than Kroil, it comes in an orange can. Miss your avatar and best of luck!

Feedback Score
    I would take the buffer tube off the lower, take the butt plate off the stock, shim the adjust pin out so it does not drag, support the front end of the stock on the correct size of PVC pipe and drive the tube out of the stock with a large wood dowel.

If that did not work I would say Screw it, eat the cost of the stock, cut it off and call it a day. Will be the cheapest thing in the long run before you screw up anything else.
    Last edited by LtlBear; 03-16-10 at 23:01.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LtlBear View Post
    I would take the buffer tube off the lower, take the butt plate off the stock, shim the adjust pin out so it does not drag, support the front end of the stock on the correct size of PVC pipe and drive the tube out of the stock with a large wood dowel.

If that did not work I would say Screw it, eat the cost of the stock, cut it off and call it a day. Will be the cheapest thing in the long run before you screw up anything else.
    Here a man's talking about going at his AR with a winch, and you come along with the voice of prudence. You're supposed to say things like that after we see the video.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    Here a man's talking about going at his AR with a winch, and you come along with the voice of prudence. You're supposed to say things like that after we see the video.
    Damn It, Sorry About that!!!

The video would be cool.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Feedback Score
    If you get the stock off, a cheap brake hone ($10+/-) would open the ID up cheaply.
    Be sure to get the video though.
    Don't Fear The Night.
    Fear What Hunts At Night.
    US ARMY INFANTRY
    HOOAH!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Be careful. You don't wanna torque your cdd lower outta spec. Unlikely, but possible. They are out of production, ya know.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Can't wait to see how this pans out...
    Last edited by MinAmmo; 03-17-10 at 08:58.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast