Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about fighting 1911s

Feedback Score

Question about fighting 1911s

Does anyone build 1911s these days to original mil-spec? Reason I ask is that if someone wanted a CCW 1911 that would run day in, day out, wet, muddy, sandy, ect wouldn't the original spec be better than some of todays custom/semi-custom "tight fit" guns? I envision a "loose" 1911 with modern ergo updates like beaver-tail, grips, checkering, ect. I have a 1918 built 1911 that runs no matter what, can't say the same for some of the modern 1911s I have shot.

My perfect 1911 would be an original with a beavertail, SA magwell, and modern sights. Really, what else does JMB's design need to work as a fighting tool?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostB14 View Post
    Does anyone build 1911s these days to original mil-spec? Reason I ask is that if someone wanted a CCW 1911 that would run day in, day out, wet, muddy, sandy, ect wouldn't the original spec be better than some of todays custom/semi-custom "tight fit" guns? I envision a "loose" 1911 with modern ergo updates like beaver-tail, grips, checkering, ect. I have a 1918 built 1911 that runs no matter what, can't say the same for some of the modern 1911s I have shot.

My perfect 1911 would be an original with a beavertail, SA magwell, and modern sights. Really, what else does JMB's design need to work as a fighting tool?
    My thoughts would be that "original mil-spec" is not as good as some custom or semi-custom 1911s. I think the original spec was something on the order of about 8K rounds before service/rebuild. More modern pistols like a Glock well exceed that number.

Modern parts, experienced gunsmith or a high-end 1911 will get you closer to what you've described than the original.

One way or the other you're looking at ~$2k.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Find a nice S80 Repro with the 'slop' fit you are after, or elect to build on your trusty 1918, and give Steve at MARS a call. http://marsguns.com/Home.htm

He may, or may not build one to your 'specs' however. Either way, it will run.

Feedback Score
    Thank you guys for your thoughts. I will admit that I have not shot any truly custom guns(NH, Wilson, ect.), but the modern ones I have played with just could not hang with my old standby. Everyone of them had something that was not up to (my)snuff when it comes to betting my life on it. Maybe I have had extremely bad luck with new ones and extremely good luck with my old one. FWIW, I am about to buy a Glock 19 until I find that perfect(for me) 1911 which may or may not exist.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I won't bash Glocks I love them although they don't fit my hand, Don't have any experience with M&P, etc.........but why must most here bash 1911's.
    I've carried some form of 1911 pattern pistol on 3 continents in harms way and never felt anything but comfort on those occassions it was called for.
    Problem is NOT the 1911 but the user IMHO. Yes they take maintenance, they require understanding, etc. They require EFFORT.....something lacking in most today.

Too many of the "now generation " who carry a gun, can't detail strip it, don't really know how it works, and want to maintain it like their lawnmower. Just like they don't check their cars oil belween changes.......

As to looseness any reputable smith will tell you that a loose 1911 is less reliable than one that has been worked over. the key to reliability is to have every aspect of that pistols function do everything the same each time it is fired.

Not tryin to start a whizzin contest just stop the bashing.
    I will agree a semi custom 1911 is now out of most folks budget. as is the cost of 45 ammo.

You can still find like new Wilson CQB's for around $1700 .
    Last edited by 1oldgrunt; 03-17-10 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thank you guys for your thoughts. I will admit that I have not shot any truly custom guns(NH, Wilson, ect.), but the modern ones I have played with just could not hang with my old standby. Everyone of them had something that was not up to (my)snuff when it comes to betting my life on it. Maybe I have had extremely bad luck with new ones and extremely good luck with my old one. FWIW, I am about to buy a Glock 19 until I find that perfect(for me) 1911 which may or may not exist.
    I just ordered a Nighthawk GRP Recon. I just ordered it last week so it is still probably 7-8 weeks out but I will let you know hot it works out. Until then I have my 19.
    There is a fight, that began before any of us were ever born. It will continue, long after we have retired, moved on, and left this world. It is a fight for the soccer mom next door, your mailman, the guy that bags your groceries, and most importantly, it is a fight for your family. We are in a daily battle not for land, not for resources or colonial controls...we are in a fight for our very way of life

Feedback Score
    My TRP (see avatarn) has run 100% to the 3k round mark with two cleanings, the first at 1200 rds. It's Glock-like in pure reliabiliity but way more accurate.

However, my last local "action pistol" match cured me of 1911's for serious stuff. We had failure to stop targets that required 5 hits interspersed. I was reloading constantly. LOL
    Give me a high cap to shoot high chest area.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    So what parts exactly need all the maintenance on a 1911?

Thanks

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So what parts exactly need all the maintenance on a 1911?

Thanks
    I believe its mostly springs that wear out rather quickly. I think recoil springs are around the 2500 mark on a Gov't size around 1500 for the 4-4.25in guns and about 500 for the 3in guns. The main problem I see lies in the fact that if a part breaks it requires fitting to be replaced and work properly as opposed to say a Glock or M&P that you can just drop the part in and go back to shooting. Not to mention the longer take down process of a 1911.
    There is a fight, that began before any of us were ever born. It will continue, long after we have retired, moved on, and left this world. It is a fight for the soccer mom next door, your mailman, the guy that bags your groceries, and most importantly, it is a fight for your family. We are in a daily battle not for land, not for resources or colonial controls...we are in a fight for our very way of life

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast