Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Question about fighting 1911s

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I love 1911 threads, very interesting stuff.

The arguments on this site against the 1911 as a viable platform seem to be slightly biased from a large unit or agency standpoint. Generally, the two most detractive points being high cost of entry and extensive preventative and periodic maintenance, i.e. "Why should we spend all the time and money for 1911s when we can get GLocks for less than half as much and do maintenance four times less often." All for a pistol of relatively low capacity. All very valid points, and from an agency view, the 1911 truly does not seem to make sense.

That doesn't mean it is not viable for an individual especially in the CCW role. It seems you just have to accept the following:

1. High cost of entry/set-up from a competent smith
    2. Higher preventative/periodic maintenance
    3. Need to send to a gunsmith for repair/replacement of parts
    4. Low capacity

If you have the finances or skill to meet the above and feel comfortable with only 7+1 or 8+1 capacity, then why not choose the 1911? It conceals very well and can be shot fast and accurately.

When I was asking about the efficacy of the 1911 at an EAG Tactical class I received the following, I think sage, advice:

"Buy a Colt, send it to Steve Morrison and have him set it up with 3 extra extractors, an extra firing pin stop, and an extra slide stop. Then stop worrying about it and shoot it. Oh, and carry at least one reload."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I love 1911 threads, very interesting stuff.

The arguments on this site against the 1911 as a viable platform seem to be slightly biased from a large unit or agency standpoint. Generally, the two most detractive points being high cost of entry and extensive preventative and periodic maintenance, i.e. "Why should we spend all the time and money for 1911s when we can get GLocks for less than half as much and do maintenance four times less often." All for a pistol of relatively low capacity. All very valid points, and from an agency view, the 1911 truly does not seem to make sense.

That doesn't mean it is not viable for an individual especially in the CCW role. It seems you just have to accept the following:

1. High cost of entry/set-up from a competent smith
    2. Higher preventative/periodic maintenance
    3. Need to send to a gunsmith for repair/replacement of parts
    4. Low capacity

If you have the finances or skill to meet the above and feel comfortable with only 7+1 or 8+1 capacity, then why not choose the 1911? It conceals very well and can be shot fast and accurately.

When I was asking about the efficacy of the 1911 at an EAG Tactical class I received the following, I think sage, advice:

"Buy a Colt, send it to Steve Morrison and have him set it up with 3 extra extractors, an extra firing pin stop, and an extra slide stop. Then stop worrying about it and shoot it. Oh, and carry at least one reload."

This is a good post, and a good counter-balance to some of the earlier statements about the 1911. This is one of the things I love about M4c: thesis, antithesis, synthesis.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggLee71@hotmail.com View Post
    Thats too funny!!! As for the 1911 NOT being good at self defense, there's alot less people walking the earth because of the 1911 (who I think if they could, would disagree!!).
    Your statement is inaccurate and silly. Read the thread.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    I could see if you're attending a high volume shooting class like they teach you'd want a poly pistol, Glock, M&P or even a Beretta. At least I'd bring one of mine.
    Neither Ken nor Larry teach "high volume" classes. You don't know what you are talking about.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This degeneration of 1911 vs. whatever has run its course.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678