Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gore-Tex Parka

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Excellent Fellas

Damn BD3 & GJ, it is so f'ing refreshing to see two adults on the 'net agree to disagree, still reach the same conclusions, treat each other w/ civility & act professionaly, kudos to you BOTH.
    Last edited by Agile53; 09-08-10 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was at REI last night looking at boots and saw they sell Arc'teryx. Some really nice stuff.

I checked out their hard shells, specifically the Stingray jacket. I have to say it makes my North Face jacket seem like a Walmart special and by no means is my North Face jacket junk. I do have to add that the Stingray cost 3x as much as my North Face jacket.

I have been wearing the jacket for about a month now. Overall it is a pretty good piece of gear. In some ways I like how the fleece liner zips into it and in some ways I don't.

The major thing I do not like about it is that it does not have zippered vents under the arms for when you get hot. It thought the zippers on the front way over to the sides were but they are pockets. I walk for about 20 minutes at a pretty brisk pace during my breaks at work and find I get hot about 3/4 through the walk and wish I had the under arm vents. Going forward I will definitely make sure the venting is there on any future purchases.
    Last edited by EzGoingKev; 11-12-10 at 05:55.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I was at REI last night looking at boots and saw they sell Arc'teryx. Some really nice stuff.

I checked out their hard shells, specifically the Stingray jacket. I have to say it makes my North Face jacket seem like a Walmart special and by no means is my North Face jacket junk. I do have to add that the Stingray cost 3x as much as my North Face jacket.

I have been wearing the jacket for about a month now. Overall it is a pretty good piece of gear. In some ways I like how the fleece liner zips into it and in some ways I don't.

The major thing I do not like about it is that it does not have zippered vents under the arms for when you get hot. It thought the zippers on the front way over to the sides were but they are pockets. I walk for about 20 minutes at a pretty brisk pace during my breaks at work and find I get hot about 3/4 through the walk and wish I had the under arm vents. Going forward I will definitely make sure the venting is there on any future purchases.
    It is worth nothing (despite being somewhat counter-intuitive) that overheating/overexertion is as dangerous in a cold-weather scenario as hypothermia.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 11-12-10 at 10:43.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    It is worth nothing (despite being somewhat counter-intuitive) that overheating/overexertion is as dangerous in a cold-weather scenario as hypothermia.
    Dehydration is a HUGE thing in the cold because a lot of people cut their water intake because they a) don't think they need as much water; and b) don't have the "thirst" in the cold.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    Dehydration is a HUGE thing in the cold because a lot of people cut their water intake because they a) don't think they need as much water; and b) don't have the "thirst" in the cold.
    It also has to do with getting all sweaty which wets your underlayers and then cools you off too rapidly.

When starting out/getting dressed up for the day you want to be a little bit cold.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 11-12-10 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    It also has to do with getting all sweaty which wets your underlayers and then cools you off too rapidly.

When starting out/getting dressed up for the day you want to be a little bit cold.
    You want to try to stay a bit cold the entire time so that you do not get sweaty.

That is where the vents under the arm come in. To me they are key and I will not buy another jacket or fleece that does not have them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    you're going to get sweaty either way- better to be layered up and wet than less layered up and wet.

also illustrates the importance of moisture wicking insulating underwear- smart wool, polypro- whatever.. anything that'll get the wet off your skin.

i've been in a few situations that started to get scary, in my time in the backcountry. get into ticker and/or tougher terrain than you were expecting, over-exerting yourself out of necessity.. get all soaking wet and tired to the point that you have to rest. now you're dehydrated, wet, too tired to keep warm- recipe for death. i've probably been closer to that than i'd like to think about.. but learned from my near-misses, and now i always make sure i'm over-dressed. wear your shell strapped to your pack, if weather permits and you can't stand to have it on- just make sure you have clothing on/with you to last anything the country might throw at you.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    you're going to get sweaty either way- better to be layered up and wet than less layered up and wet.
    Eventually you stop moving...then you get cold...then the wet starts pulling heat away from your body...then you get hypothermic. Ask me how I know. Outside of combat...there is nothing (and I do mean nothing) that sucks worse than being cold and wet.

You're going to sweat but overexertion can kill...especially if you don't have the proper layers. Just take your time, there are very few times when you have to overexert yourself out of necessity. If you do have to and feel yourself getting too hot, pull off a layer
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 11-12-10 at 23:44.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345