Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol for a in Car Bug Out Bag

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

AR Pistol for a in Car Bug Out Bag

So, I was thinking about a situation.

Lets say your 1 day or more DRIVING distance from home when SHTF. Youve got enough gas to make it another 300 or so miles then your on foot or hope you have enough cash to get more gas....or there is more gas period.

Youve got your "Car Bug Out Bag". Mine I keep 2 10x10 tarps, 300ft of 550 cord, 4 MRE's, 2 spare mags for my XD, my .22 9shot revolver(for hunting if small game if need be, 100rds for the .22, plus some extra socks, pants, and a shirt.

Now, Im thinkin, what about building a AR pistol to keep in my Car Bag? While its not that great for a long engagement type weapon, it packs more punch and is a little more intimidating to "potential threats" than a pistol on your hip is. With the right sling you could make carrying the pistol easy. put a cheap simple red dot sight on it, and a couple spare mags and I think that wouldnt be to bad of a setup.

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but it doesnt sound bad to me...
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    So, I was thinking about a situation.

Lets say your 1 day or more DRIVING distance from home when SHTF. Youve got enough gas to make it another 300 or so miles then your on foot or hope you have enough cash to get more gas....or there is more gas period.

Youve got your "Car Bug Out Bag". Mine I keep 2 10x10 tarps, 300ft of 550 cord, 4 MRE's, 2 spare mags for my XD, my .22 9shot revolver(for hunting if small game if need be, 100rds for the .22, plus some extra socks, pants, and a shirt.

Now, Im thinkin, what about building a AR pistol to keep in my Car Bag? While its not that great for a long engagement type weapon, it packs more punch and is a little more intimidating to "potential threats" than a pistol on your hip is. With the right sling you could make carrying the pistol easy. put a cheap simple red dot sight on it, and a couple spare mags and I think that wouldnt be to bad of a setup.

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but it doesnt sound bad to me...
    1 day's driving distance? A straight 24 hours? That could put you on the other side of the CONUS. If I drove straight from where I live for 24 hours (eastern seaboard), I could be damn near in Western Texas/New Mexico.

I think 3 guns is excessive if trying to get home. I'd limit it to a light weight pistol, and concentrate more on food/water/shelter/first aid etc.

While its a shitty scenario, that we all could be in, I think the abililty to find food/water and stay dry, and especially maintaining your feet walking literally hundreds of miles would be more important than lugging around an AR15 Pistol and several magazines

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    guess I should clarify what I mean by 1 day. I consider a typical 1 day drive 12-14hours for 1 person, anything more than that and your pushing it mentally which IMO can cause accidents/fatalities.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What are you going to be doing with the gun? Anything other than intimidating people? I suspect most folks you're likely to encounter aren't going to be much more impressed with the AR-type than they'd be with a conventional service handgun.

I routinely travel with discreetly carried long guns. Travel with what you normally use. A 6520 can conceal remarkably well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would rather have a 9mm or a .45acp concealed on the hip and use it only as a last resort then go for some type of "intimidating" factor. An AR pistol adds to much bulk and weight and its ballistics I feel are less effective then a premium 9mm or .45acp hollow point. Just look at the failures to stop the Marines have been reporting with M-4's and full sized M-16's in the big sand box then one has to assume that a AR pistol would be that much more of a failure.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-16-09 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    guess I should clarify what I mean by 1 day. I consider a typical 1 day drive 12-14hours for 1 person, anything more than that and your pushing it mentally which IMO can cause accidents/fatalities.
    So if your 12-14 hours away, averaging approx 60-70 mph, that puts you approx 1000 miles away. You have enough gas to get you 300-400 miles closer.

So, you need to get home *on foot*, by traversing 600-700 miles.

Im no expert, but my original statements still stand. The *average* person can walk about 3mph, keep that up for 12-14 hours, thats 36-42miles a day.

After the first couple of days, that *average* person is going to be down and out. Feet will be raw, and they aren't going to be able to move. This is assuming a basic loud out of a 3day pack.

Calorie expenditure walking 36-42 miles a day, hourly water needs, are your main concerns. If you are a IN SHAPE person, I could see someone making it further with out as much water/food.

I'll take another stab at it and say that a lightweight polymer pistol caliber firearm will be your best bang for the buck. Ditch any idea of carrying 60-90 rounds of 5.56, and the AR15 pistol itself for that length of distance. You'd be better served with calories, water, moleskin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I would rather have a 9mm or a .45acp concealed on the hip and use it only as a last resort then go for some type of "intimidating" factor.
    Yup. Most folks grossly overestimate how intimidating guns are. Or at least, comparatively within a category (hand/long).

I've pointed guns at folks and watched others do so. Those on the receiving end contemplated the steel in the eye of the shooter and the determination in their voice, much more than the implement in their hand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Yup. Most folks grossly overestimate how intimidating guns are. Or at least, comparatively within a category (hand/long).

I've pointed guns at folks and watched others do so. Those on the receiving end contemplated the steel in the eye of the shooter and the determination in their voice, much more than the implement in their hand.
    Most days I have to point a gun at a possibly armed person at least once, now here's a funny thing a drug dealer said to me the other day. After running him down on foot he stopped and bent over at the waist acting as if he was out of breath. I was behind solid cover at gun point and ordered him to the ground, he looked up and said "Oh ****" and complied with my order. When back up arrivied and he was cuffed I ask what the "Oh ****" was about, the dealer stated he saw I was pointing a .45acp and not a pussy 9mm at him and he didnt want to be shot with a .45acp. I asked how he knew it was a .45acp as one Glock looks just like another and he replied the "BIG F'ing Hole" thats how. I ask if he would be just as scared of a 9mm and the reply was, he has been shot two different times with a 9mm and while it hurt he was still here. Lately most of the guns recovered in the city are all .40S&W and .45acp's as even the toads know what calibers to use.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-16-09 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Double Post
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-16-09 at 19:36. Reason: Double Post

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Most days I have to point a gun at a possibly armed person at least once, now here's a funny thing a drug dealer said to me the other day. After running him down on foot he stopped and bent over at the waist acting as if he was out of breath. I was behind solid cover at gun point and ordered him to the ground, he looked up and said "Oh ****" and complied with my order. When back up arrivied and he was cuffed I ask what the "Oh ****" was about, the dealer stated he saw I was pointing a .45acp and not a pussy 9mm at him and he didnt want to be shot with a .45acp. I asked how he knew it was a .45acp as one Glock looks just like another and he replied the "BIG F'ing Hole" thats how. I ask if he would be just as scared of a 9mm and the reply was, he has been shot two different times with a 9mm and while it hurt he was still here. Lately most of the guns recovered in the city are all .40S&W and .45acp's as even the toads know what calibers to use.
    I have been an inter-city LEO in SW Ohio for the last 17+ years. I've done my share of putting suspects at gun point.

I would not recommend betting my life on the "intimidation factor" alone. I have found that people seem to be sensitive about their noses. I have found that I get more compliance when pointing my firearm at an individual's nose vs. pointing center mass (chest). I am no expert on social behavior, but I think the view of the firearm pointing at their nose vs. seeing the angled view of the of the slide gives an individual more to think about.

As far as the OP, I have thought about AR pistols. But try as I might, I could not find a legitimate reason for purchasing one. While they would fit in a bag better than a 14.5" or 16" AR, the loss of velocity of the round, and the decrease in my ability to put rounds on target, especially under stress... I just cannot justify buying one.

I can not think of any senerio in which the AR pistol would be of any more help than a full size handgun, such as a Glock 17 or a S&W M&P would be. The full size handgun such as a Glock 17/19 is much easier to conceal, and for me, easier to quickly put accurate rounds on target.

In the senerio laid out by the OP, I'd go for a full size, yet still concealable pistol, such as a Glock 17/19, or an M&P. Have two extra magazines concealed on my belt. I'd be more concerned about speed and stealth (AKA, flying under the radar, maintaining a low profile, ect). To accomplish this, I'd want to keep the weight of my GHB as light as possible. I'd trade the weight of the .22 revolver and the AR pistol for some extra power pars. I'd set my GHB around a water bladder compatible system like the camel back.

If I'd trying to hustle back home, stopping to hunt small game with a .22, then skin, clean and cook said small game (all the while with people hearing the hunting, and smelling the cooking) is time I can not afford. I'd want to de-ass the effected area and get home ASAP. The more time goes by, the worse the situation could deteriorate, and the worse my odds are of having major issues while still in the effected area.

I would want to avoid armed confrontations if at all possible. If for some reason there was no choice, then address it, and break contact as soon as possible.

Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action would be of more use to me in this situation were I forced into a confrontation, than carrying three guns in a pack.

This is just one person's thoughts. If you like the idea of an AR pistol in your GHB, more power to you. For me, they are an answer waiting for a question.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast