Thread: Knife/tool for EOD

Feedback Score

Knife/tool for EOD

Really, Dont know if this is the correct area to put this but here goes...

Currently, I am working with a machine shop to produce an EOD knife as all the once out there currently are crap in my opinion. Here's my requirements:

Used as a prybar without bending or breaking
    Will still hold an edge
    Weight is somewhat of a consideration
    I will be incorporating a glasssbreaker
    paracord cutter integrated into the sheath
    skinner
    2 types of serrated blades

Currently, I'm looking at CPM30SV, A2, and W2 as far as steels good. I'd like to do titanium, but I have reservations against titanium and breakage; but I'm not opposed to it.

So if you have experiences with knife-making, metallurgy, real world ops (military or civilian) on what you think a knife would need....Even if you just own a knife and like something about it, post up...thanks....Eric

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    My $.02 on A2:

I used to own a LOT of Bark River Knife & Tool knives which were made out of A2. These blades were among the sharpest I had ever seen from the factory. Unfortunately, they would dull VERY easily and in a couple of cases, sustained edge rolls and nicks with relatively little provocation. They were always easy to clean up on the belt grinder and were extremely easy to redress in the field with a strop and some compound. So, as far as durability of edge, I would say not the greatest.

My EDC knives are Seki V8-10 Spyderco's as they are discreet enough to carry without freaking out the sheeple and hold an edge well. My go to kit knife is a Swamp Rat Scrapper 5 LE in Jerry Busse's secret INFI steel. Sharp and tough!

Feedback Score
    Last edited by tracker722; 06-20-11 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    Thanks; that is a good starting point...appreciate it...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Out of your choices I would choose A2. I am also a big fan of O-1 steel as well. Both will tarnish and rust but are tough as nails!!! The A2 gets a toughness edge over 0-1 and will be easier for the machine shop to heat treat I am guessing.

For a more stain and rust friendly knife check out D2 stock.
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks Brian for your incite, good to see a knife maker add his opinion to the subject....

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    This is what i have, and i love it, cheap, strong as shit!! and you can make it into a knife..

http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm
    Last edited by l3mon; 03-22-10 at 20:53.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.