Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $$-Something of Value-SHTF??

Feedback Score

$$-Something of Value-SHTF??

Morning All,
    How have some of you prepared for money/barter in a SHTF situation.
    PM's,Ammo,Guns....?

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
    Clinger to GOD & Guns.
    NRA Life
    The only place I want to see a liberal is in a museum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For long term, Money probably will have little or no value, Food,Fuel, Ammo & "other things" will be supplies that are highly sought after and will be the New Currency.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only reason money has any value to begin with is because we place value on it. Therefore I think money (cash) will be utilized for a the short term simply out of denial by the majority of people in a situation like this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think people will be able to deny the urge to take a worthless piece of paper initially because they will see it as something of value in the future.

But items are critical, as are skills. I have a wide variety of both, and feel comfortable with being able to get by with bartering.

Of particular value though would be rolling tabaco (why can I never spell this word), and smokes. Being able to grow the plant itself would be even better, but I have heard it is a pain in the butt, and may not be worth the pay off in a barter situation.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Silver has been used for a few thousand years as a means to barter, it has intrinsic value unlike fiat/paper currencies. It might be a good idea to keep some for SHTF situations and it's currently under $20/ounce making it relatively affordable for most.

Of course primary concern is food, water, shelter, safety, etc., but I think holding on to some fractional amounts of silver could be quite practical as well.

Feedback Score

Talking

I live in Vermont. We have long cold winters, maybe not this year, but typically we do. I bought my home on 13.5 acres of woodland. I've got Birch, Sugar Maple, Red Maple, Beech, etc; and some White Pines and Cedars. I did this because I could not really afford to invest in Preps otherwise,ie; Gold, precious metals etc;. This makes my small forest worth more than Gold in a SHTF situation. Heating your home up here can be the difference between life and death. I also wisely chose a home that lies between a few Farms. Without oil or wood to heat their homes, they go cold. Without food to feed my Dog and Myself, we starve, save for my Garden and Hunting. All of my Neighbors are good folk, and most of them Reload and shoot often, so we should be fat, happy and warm in my neck of the woods.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 03-19-10 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would be very hesitant to use ammo or guns as barter items, depending on the person. Why give someone the means to take your stuff by force?

I'm leaning towards things that are cheap to buy now, but are difficult to duplicate in a non-industrial society.

Some items I'd considered:

Inexpensive knives (Opinel No. 6, Victorinox Classic, Frosts Mora of Sweden)
    Sewing Needles and Pins/Safety Pins
    Sewing Thread
    Buttons
    Shoe Laces
    Socks
    Twine/Rope
    Nails
    Whiskey
    Tobacco
    Coffee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I would be very hesitant to use ammo or guns as barter items, depending on the person. Why give someone the means to take your stuff by force?

I'm leaning towards things that are cheap to buy now, but are difficult to duplicate in a non-industrial society.

Some items I'd considered:

Inexpensive knives (Opinel No. 6, Victorinox Classic, Frosts Mora of Sweden)
    Sewing Needles and Pins/Safety Pins
    Sewing Thread
    Buttons
    Shoe Laces
    Socks
    Twine/Rope
    Nails
    Whiskey
    Tobacco
    Coffee
    I have thought the same thing. Though some of it will have to take place. I like your idea on the things on your list. Not something I had thought of for barter.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think after awhile when commercial foods run out many who did not have prior stores will be willing to trade items such as ammo, med's or other things of use for basis food rations. With that in mind I have laid in a few cases of the Datrex (DX2400F) Emergency Rations were each ration has enough calories to cover a single person 72 hours. Now I would really have to be in the hurt locker to come out of my seclusion to trade but depending on the duration of the event there is a possibility I may need to location certain common med's after six months time. But to this end if the event lasted more then a few months then I think we would see looters more then traders and the greater risk of fire fight would curtail what if any trading I would do.

Plan now or be a victim later.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 03-25-10 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    Food: No one has ever figured out a way to live without it.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    it would depend on the scale of the problem. if it's something like a blizzard, quake or hurricane, ie regional, short term event cash will still have value.

gold and silver have value, but you can't eat 'em. but they are dense and easy to transport.

trading guns and/or ammo seems like a VERY bad idea... even tho many people consider ammo to be post-shtf bartering wampum.

i'd be most concerned about getting MY stuff squared away instead of stocking goods for barter.

now, if you have a skill that can be bartered... for example if you're a blacksmith, vet, doctor, welder, gunsmith, mechanic, plumber, carpenter, cooper, or just a general "jack of all trades" you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast