Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $$-Something of Value-SHTF??

Feedback Score
    stock up on salt. The word salary comes from salt. because people used to be paid in it.
    It is essential element has medical uses and can be used to preserve food as wll as give taste. If you do not live near the coast it can be hard to come by. Bulk salt will store easily and has an indefinite shelf life. Get some of the iodiazed kind as well with out it you are looking at a goiter before long.
    Last edited by dashotgun; 03-25-10 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Weapons and Ammo I think are going to be a few of the hottest barter items going post SHTF. Regardless of how good or bad the idea is. An exercise in caution could be used by maybe removing the firing pin and having them return for it the following day. It'll be sought after enough that folks will be willing to play ball.

I totally agree on:
    +1 on Salt.
    +1 on Tobacco and Booze.
    +1 on Nails and hardware.
    +1 on Sewing Supplies.
    +1 on Rope, Twine, etc.

Other considerations could be:
    *Clothing. Jackets, Denim & Footwear.
    *Basic Hand Tools. Chisels, Hammers, Saws, etc.

Medications and Antibiotics are a big one that will be hard to come by. I was reading somewhere that feed stores sell most antibiotics over the counter for live stock. These are essentially the same thing as pharmaceutical grade. I have been meaning to check into this once I return to CONUS as a possible route for a SHTF stash. Anyone hear about that one?

Additionally, the biggest thing you can barter is learning a skill. That is something you may always be needed. I am thinking some may pay you several meals or essential supplies to either be taught or provide a service.

Feedback Score
    Interesting, didn't give much thought at all on bartering before reading this

Feedback Score
    TP.

I would hire out for TP if I was out.

Feedback Score
    seeds
    canning jars
    books on diy type stuff
    fishing gear
    water purification tablets
    hard candy
    chicken boulion or beef
    tea and or coffee
    all fairly compact items which will store well and be worth their weight in gold
    I can barter my medical skills

agree on t he TP corn husks do not beat charmin. Ever wonder why people shake with their right hand and no it is not because they are rightys
    Last edited by dashotgun; 04-07-10 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashotgun View Post
    chicken boulion or beef
    Actually bouillon usually has a marked shelf-life of a year or less. No idea what actual is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim #1-8 View Post
    Morning All,
    How have some of you prepared for money/barter in a SHTF situation.
    PM's,Ammo,Guns....?

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
    My guess? FUEL of any type, Food, Potable water, Ammo, and Firearms...would be the currency of an economic collapse.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Food: No one has ever figured out a way to live without it.
    I agree.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I would be very hesitant to use ammo or guns as barter items, depending on the person. Why give someone the means to take your stuff by force?

I'm leaning towards things that are cheap to buy now, but are difficult to duplicate in a non-industrial society.

Some items I'd considered:

Inexpensive knives (Opinel No. 6, Victorinox Classic, Frosts Mora of Sweden)
    Sewing Needles and Pins/Safety Pins
    Sewing Thread
    Buttons
    Shoe Laces
    Socks
    Twine/Rope
    Nails
    Whiskey
    Tobacco
    Coffee
    along the same line, think of screws, nails, and bolt/nuts.

ever try to whittle a screw out of a stick?

drywall screws nails of all sizes, and other small construction fasteners will be mighty handy when you need to board up that window or fix the hole in the roof from that big storm.

Feedback Score
    Seems kinda silly, if you are going to prepare for SHTF why stockpile stuff to trade? If you use the same money and space why not just prepare for yourself so you do not have to trade?

Last situation I want to be in is needing to trade for stuff. I do not want anyone know I have anything they want, or be in a situation where they might try to take my stuff from me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast