Thread: Yugo ska safety not working

Feedback Score

Yugo ska safety not working

I have a buddie of mines yugo sks on my bench. Safety lever doestnwork just flops around loose. Not sure what I’m missing doesn’t appear any parts are missing.

Feedback Score
    I believe early Yugo models had a safety spring and later models didn’t. Or maybe it’s the other way around at any rate it’s one of two things. Either you need a new safety spring or it’s the pinch fit safety model. You need to take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend the safety in so that it slides heavily against the trigger guard. Lots of friction.

Good luck and let me know what you find.

Heavyweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    https://store.centuryarms.com/yugo-s...er-spring.html

This is the spring you need if does need one.

Feedback Score
    Yeah that spring is in there and looks normal. I can’t really tell how exactly it’s supposed to interface with the safety switch but right now it’s not doing anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    Yeah that spring is in there and looks normal. I can’t really tell how exactly it’s supposed to interface with the safety switch but right now it’s not doing anything.
    It’s not engaged with the safety. My guess is you’d have to completely disassemble the trigger group and reinstall that spring….if it isn’t bent or damaged it may be dislodged. This isn’t a super easy task. You might want to google SKSBoards and search for instructions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    It’s not engaged with the safety. My guess is you’d have to completely disassemble the trigger group and reinstall that spring….if it isn’t bent or damaged it may be dislodged. This isn’t a super easy task. You might want to google SKSBoards and search for instructions.

I disassembled the whole trigger group and gave it a simple green bath for 10 minutes so I could clean the cosmoline off. It appears to me the spring isn’t “bent” enough. I don’t have another one on hand so I may try to put some more bend in it and see if I can get in to engage properly again. Worst comes to worst I’ll order a new one online and that should fix it. It was a little bit of a job to disassemble it all but not too bad. Now that I’ve done it and familiar it’s not scary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I disassembled the whole trigger group and gave it a simple green bath for 10 minutes so I could clean the cosmoline off. It appears to me the spring isn’t “bent” enough. I don’t have another one on hand so I may try to put some more bend in it and see if I can get in to engage properly again. Worst comes to worst I’ll order a new one online and that should fix it. It was a little bit of a job to disassemble it all but not too bad. Now that I’ve done it and familiar it’s not scary.
    That’s a cheap easy to find part. You’ve already done the hard part. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    I reassembled it and the safety works great but I can’t get the hammer to drop…

Took it all back apart again to see where I goofed. Not sure if the tigger bar is supposed to go under or over the rebound disconnector that snaps in underneath the hammer spring assembly. None of the videos I found show it in that much detail.

Edit: I had it together right but once I reassembled it again and cleaned some cosmoline junk and lubed it up it works properly. Was a fun little learning project.
    Last edited by graffex; Yesterday at 20:13.