Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else allergic to caffeine?

Feedback Score

Anyone else allergic to caffeine?

A few years ago I discovered I was allergic to caffeine. I had a 'holistic' practitioner tell me that some of my issues I was having were due to weak adrenals. I had heart palpitations, fatigue, eye problems, and positional (something) where bending over of standing up from sitting would make me sort of black out.

So I stopped caffeine cold turkey, and all my issues went away, with the exception of the chronic fatigue, but even that isn't as bad as it was.

So anyone else have this issue? Anything to add to this list to stay away from? Any tips on strengthening the system? I'm taking Tribulus and Astragalus right now, and it's helping, but I cycle it so it's temporary.

Nicotine
    chocolate
    coffee (even decaf)
    guarana
    green and black tea

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am currently working myself to death. My health is on the decline. I am way too young to be declining. Maybe it is the caffeine??? I look at it as my pacemaker at this point, but that could be the cause (and solution?) of my problems. I am such a coffee druggie, I don't know if I could survive quitting. Hopefully work can slow down a bit for a while for me to wind down. 12-22 hour days almost every single weekday for 2 years straight (no vacations either) has been eating me alive.

I have heard of this, but never the symptoms. Thanks for the detail.

Good post.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    maybe not allergic, but i was getting headaches about 2 hours after drinking it. gave it up years ago.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am not sure that points to a true allergic reaction. More like the effects of caffeine when used to excess. Caffeine is a stimulant and when you constantly stimulate your system it gets fed up! (very technical description I know ;-) )

I avoid caffeine most of the time but still eat Chocolate once in a while, a few gulps of Coke once a month mixed with Root Beer and Lemonade (yes it is good -- this is done at one of those serve yourself soda fountains when at Costco), and when I am having to drive tired I drink Dr Pepper and Mt Dew. That is like once every other year. I don't drink coffee or tea, and avoid other sources of concentrated caffeine. I do stick some "energy powder" in my water bladder when training at an all day course. Highly diluted but it does contain a small amount of caffeine.

Avoiding lots of sugar is also a good idea.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless you were tested, there is no way to know for sure if you are having an allergic reaction. To be a true allergy, your immune system has to be involved. So, maybe you should get tested to make sure.

I purposely only use caffeine during work, since it may be crucial to staying awake during critical times. I prefer the caffeine gum for ease of use. This way, I can control my intake and titrate it to a level that keeps me alert, yet not jittery.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Not allergic to caffiene, but I am allergic to Coffee, it makes my hands break out in a rash which turns to blisters. Then the skin cracks and bleeds. Does'nt happen with instant coffee or Tea.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyVain View Post
    A few years ago I discovered I was allergic to caffeine.
    What medical test was used to diagnose that?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    My GI tract hates instant coffee and it gives me migraines but i have never had an issue with caffeine in pill form or energy drinks

The light-headed feeling from getting up quickly can be attributed to dehydration, which coffee can do to you if you drink enough of it.

Excessive caffeine intake messes with circulation and the amounts that i have seen professors go through i can see how it adds up to the problems you mentioned.

Having a morning cup of joe i would not worry about, but if you are making multiple trips to the coffee pot throughout the day then i cant call your symptoms surprising.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If i was allergic to caffeine i would be dead.... Everyday starts with a 32oz of some dark roast. followed by normally another 24oz after work...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six oh Nine View Post
    If i was allergic to caffeine i would be dead.... Everyday starts with a 32oz of some dark roast. followed by normally another 24oz after work...

I advise you to just got to IV drip this point.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast