Record numbers now licensed to pack heat
    Firearms deaths fall as millions obtain permits to carry concealed guns

By Mike Stuckey
    Senior news editor
    msnbc.com
    updated 8:43 a.m. ET, Wed., March. 24, 2010

Mike Stuckey
    Senior news editor

Waving a chromed semiautomatic pistol, the robber pushed into the building in the bustling Five Points neighborhood of Columbia, S.C., just before 11 p.m. on April 11, 2009. “Gimme what you got!” he yelled, his gun hand trembling.

Attorney Jim Corley was one of four people in the room, the lounge area of a 12-step recovery group’s meeting hall. “He said, ‘Give me your wallet,’” Corley recalled. “So I reached around to my back pocket and gave him what was there.”

Unfortunately for the gunman, later identified as Kayson Helms, 18, of Edison, N.J., that was Corley’s tiny Kel-Tec .32, hidden in a wallet holster and loaded with a half-dozen hollow points. Corley fired once into the robber’s abdomen. The young man turned. Corley fired twice more, hitting him in the neck and again in the torso. Helms ran into the night and collapsed to die on a railroad embankment 100 feet away.

Reports filed by officers who arrived at the scene a short time later called it an “exceptionally clear” case of justifiable homicide. Following South Carolina’s “Castle Doctrine,” which allows the use of deadly force in self-defense, police did not arrest Corley. They did not interrogate him. Corley was offered the opportunity to make a voluntary statement, which he did.

Helms’ friends and relatives were left to mourn, barred by the same Castle Doctrine from filing a civil lawsuit.

Jim Corley became an unintentional spokesman for a burgeoning movement of millions of Americans who secretly and legally pack pistols in waistbands, under jackets, strapped to ankles, stashed in purses or — like Corley — tucked in hip pockets.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article is 3 pages, see link for the rest. The graph is very telling.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by citizensoldier16 View Post
    .32 caliber handgun kills robber? Who wudda thunk it?!

Good to hear though, esp on MSNBC.
    I was thinking the same thing. It just shows how caliber, shot placement, and target all interact unpredictably.

TIME TRAVEL POST!
    Last edited by rifleman2000; 03-24-10 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    .32 caliber handgun kills robber? Who wudda thunk it?!

Good to hear though, esp on MSNBC.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    I wonder what this means. Either:

1. Isolated case of semi-good journalism.

2. Gradual pendulum of media swinging toward the right as the duplicity of liberalism becomes more exposed. (least likely)

3. MSNBC is going under and needs money/ratings bad!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Hard to believe, but there it was. Right on the homepage no less:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714389/ns/us_news-life//

Record numbers now licensed to pack heat
    Firearms deaths fall as millions obtain permits to carry concealed guns

By Mike Stuckey
    Senior news editor
    msnbc.com
    updated 8:43 a.m. ET, Wed., March. 24, 2010

Mike Stuckey
    Senior news editor

Waving a chromed semiautomatic pistol, the robber pushed into the building in the bustling Five Points neighborhood of Columbia, S.C., just before 11 p.m. on April 11, 2009. “Gimme what you got!” he yelled, his gun hand trembling.

Attorney Jim Corley was one of four people in the room, the lounge area of a 12-step recovery group’s meeting hall. “He said, ‘Give me your wallet,’” Corley recalled. “So I reached around to my back pocket and gave him what was there.”

Unfortunately for the gunman, later identified as Kayson Helms, 18, of Edison, N.J., that was Corley’s tiny Kel-Tec .32, hidden in a wallet holster and loaded with a half-dozen hollow points. Corley fired once into the robber’s abdomen. The young man turned. Corley fired twice more, hitting him in the neck and again in the torso. Helms ran into the night and collapsed to die on a railroad embankment 100 feet away.

Reports filed by officers who arrived at the scene a short time later called it an “exceptionally clear” case of justifiable homicide. Following South Carolina’s “Castle Doctrine,” which allows the use of deadly force in self-defense, police did not arrest Corley. They did not interrogate him. Corley was offered the opportunity to make a voluntary statement, which he did.

Helms’ friends and relatives were left to mourn, barred by the same Castle Doctrine from filing a civil lawsuit.

Jim Corley became an unintentional spokesman for a burgeoning movement of millions of Americans who secretly and legally pack pistols in waistbands, under jackets, strapped to ankles, stashed in purses or — like Corley — tucked in hip pockets.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article is 3 pages, see link for the rest. The graph is very telling.
    Probably off topic, but aren't wallet holsters considered NFA? If so, I'd definitely not want that tidbit to make it into the news if I were the victim.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Best part is that the robber is from Eddison NJ...

What a dumb a$$... had he commited the crime in NJ, he would be alive today since NJ will not give out CCW permits. lol But no, the retard went 600 miles south to commit a crime and die.

Since we can't defend ourselves here in NJ, I would love to see more of NJ's violent criminals meet their maker at the hands of free citizens in other states.

Awesome!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I keep one in my purse too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NMBigfoot02 View Post
    Probably off topic, but aren't wallet holsters considered NFA? If so, I'd definitely not want that tidbit to make it into the news if I were the victim.
    Only if they are designed such that the gun can still be fired while in the holster and they disguise the fact that it's a gun. Otherwise, any pocket holster would be considered an AOW.

Probably a poor choice of words by the writer. I would guess it was just a pocket holster, and it sounds like he actually drew the gun out and then fired it.
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 03-24-10 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post

great article ........... except for this

self defense <> justifiable homicide.

liberals (badged or otherwise) just don't like accepting self defense
    Last edited by danpass; 03-24-10 at 16:21.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    What a dumb a$$... had he commited the crime in NJ, he would be alive today since NJ will not give out CCW permits. lol But no, the retard went 600 miles south to commit a crime and die.

As one of your fellow residents I can really appreciate the humor in this.

Superb display of wit, my friend.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast