Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second M&P 9FS or DD Omega 9??

Feedback Score

Second M&P 9FS or DD Omega 9??

Hello everyone. I hope this is the right forum to post this, if not, mods fell free to move it.

Here is the situation: My wife recently let me (I know, I know) place an order for a SA Pro in Dec 09. I have the funds to pay for this pistol outright but when I got to thinking about the long term cost of actually running it I did some cost vs. benefit analysis. I priced out two M&P9s, a full size and a compact (I already have one M&P9FS), three sets of Heinie Straight 8 sights, two APEX action kits, an APEX TR spring and FP Stop for the existing M&P, 2000 rounds of 9mm and an MGW sight pusher for about $2450.00. I would still be about $200 less than the base cost of the Pro which means I could get some proper training too. I have already canceled the Pro order as I am looking at things from a bit more practical perspective.

Here’s where the dilemma comes in: As I said before, I already have a FS M&P9; however, I also wanted to get a DD Omega 9 for my 16” midlength AR. My question: Should I forgo the second M&P 9 FS and opt for the DD Omega and save a bit more $ or get the second M&P 9FS? My AR setup serves my purposes just fine, then again, so would one M&P FS plus a compact.

FWIW, my AR is a Sabre Defense upper and barrel built by PKFirearms w/an older LMT BCG. The lower is a LMT Defender 2000. I have the plastic hand guards w/bolt on rail and Surefire G2 sitting at 1100. My sling is a home brew 2 point attached to the stock and the forward sling swivel via paracord (kind of like the BFG sling loop adapter). Like I said, it serves my purposes just fine (home defense, training and SHTF) as it is so I really don’t know what I would be gaining. Then again, I’m really not gaining much from having a spare 9FS if I have the compact too, other than having a spare for the sake of having a spare.

Also, as far as training goes, I was planning on taking a few classes with the Firearms Academy of Seattle when I get back from my current deployment. I am active duty Air Force and have been shooting informally for the last ten years but that doesn’t mean a whole lot when it comes to the training side of the house.

What do you all think?

ETA: I have the APEX sear in my current M&P and it really changes the shootablilty of the pistol. In a word (or three), it is awesome!
    Last edited by WesleyCE; 03-25-10 at 01:29.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I know it's really hard to fight the itch for a new blaster.......and two is one and one is none......

But, I might consider buying a few cases of ammo and hitting the range hard. It sounds like you've got an AR that is doing everything you need it to, and you already have two M&P 9's, correct?

Far be it from me to keep a brother from buying a new gun, but sometimes the stuff that goes along with the guns needs a little attention too.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Templar,

I've only got the one M&P 9 right now. My wife has a compact but thats hers.

Basically she said I can get whatever I want as long as I don't spend more than the origional cost of the SA PRO ($2595). Well, I can get quite a bit for that kind of coin. I was already going to buy two cases of 9mm to start off with but I see what you are saying about getting more ammo. If I were to get 4 or 5 cases that's just that much more practice.

Feedback Score
    I would do without the compact entirely and focus on training and ammo first. From there I would figure out how I wanted my pistol and rifle setup. Last I would buy a backup of whatever carry gun I was using, in your case the MP9 fullsize.
    Last edited by BrianS; 03-26-10 at 03:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I find myself in a slightly related situation. Got a certified-letter notice in the mail, hit USPS, and BLAMMO! I have $500 that I had no idea was coming, immediately prior to a planned trip to VA Arms.

Robb was able to talk me off the ledge of doing something that I would have felt silly about, later. Think about doing what I did: Register for a class and buy ammo for that.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Are you able to purchase ammo as you go, or is it more of a joint decision? For me, ammo is easy, guns are not. Get the harder of the two items to obtain if you can get the other more easily

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyCE View Post
    Templar,

I've only got the one M&P 9 right now. My wife has a compact but thats hers.

Basically she said I can get whatever I want as long as I don't spend more than the origional cost of the SA PRO ($2595). Well, I can get quite a bit for that kind of coin. I was already going to buy two cases of 9mm to start off with but I see what you are saying about getting more ammo. If I were to get 4 or 5 cases that's just that much more practice.
    Invest - and I mean that literally - in about 500 bucks worth of reloading gear. Best "shooting money" you'll ever spend.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Y'know, if I wasn't a total rock, I'd have at least thought of that...^^^
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Im saying get the SA pro, but I havent bought my first 1911 yet.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    $2595 will pay for alot of ammo and training classes.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast