Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Alongs

Feedback Score

Ride Alongs

Do any police departments do ride alongs anymore, or have they stopped due to liability reasons?
    A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from the top of a mountain. -unknown

Feedback Score
    Most of my local police departments still do ride alongs. Most require a signed waiver/release form and along with that a few require background investigations also. The best way to find out is call and ask. Tell them you are interested in a career in law enforcement and would like to do a few ride alongs with there various departments and divisions to get a better understanding of what they do. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    You did not say what the goal of the ride-along is, so here are the choices available in my area that might also be available in yours.
    • Ride Along
    • Citizens Police Academy
    • Police Auxiliary

Most of the information was available on our PD's website. Check yours as well.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, the local PD is kinda small only about 12 LEO's and they never answer the damn phone. I work at night so it makes it kinda hard to get out there before the tumbleweeds start rolling.
    A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from the top of a mountain. -unknown

Feedback Score
    Your county's Sheriff's Dept might be bigger. Don't know how far the nearest precinct is to you but they may be more accommodating.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will fall back to your level of training.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I did one last year. Sign a waiver and off you go. 0 to 130 in WAY TOO short of a time. My blood pressure was shooting up instantly. Topping hills, rounding curves in pursuit of speeders at those speeds was a rush. Glad I don't do that for a living; thanks to the guys who do!

Feedback Score
    The Sherriff's around here mostly do court stuff, the local PD is only about 2 miles from my house and the State Police are only about 7 miles or so north. I checked their web site this morning and there was no mention or ride alongs. I deal with LEO's quite a lot with my job so I'll just ask one of the ones from the other towns I'm always in. Now a trip around York City in a squad car that might be interesting.

Feedback Score
    Ahhh, I have heard that the Sheriff's Dept on the east coast mainly handle the jail and court. Here on the west coast we have pretty big depts. Mine has about 300patrol Deputies, and about the same amount of Corrections Officers.

Good luck with the ride along and have fun. I am taking a buddy on one this Saturday night.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will fall back to your level of training.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnagant762 View Post
    The Sherriff's around here mostly do court stuff, the local PD is only about 2 miles from my house and the State Police are only about 7 miles or so north. I checked their web site this morning and there was no mention or ride alongs. I deal with LEO's quite a lot with my job so I'll just ask one of the ones from the other towns I'm always in. Now a trip around York City in a squad car that might be interesting.
    York, PA?
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Feedback Score
    Here in NC we did them, had about 16 guys on shift, did a couple myself, your not supposed to get in chases or anything like that, but what was I supposed to do? Dump off the corner to hang out Cracky Jack to help deal, while I go chase a car?

Its actually part of the class certification as well that you must ride so many hours, and we had guys have thier dads do ride alongs as well, just gotta watch out for the badge chasers who try to get on board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast