Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ride Alongs

Feedback Score
    I'm used to people not liking me it's part of my job
    A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from the top of a mountain. -unknown

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Fascinating concept. Can't really imagine asking to do so here, though I do know a couple guys in the department. But what would be my reasoning not being an LEO candidate? Overall relations and understanding perhaps?

Dare I ask, or would it come off as dopey? Sadly, here in NJ anyhow, I think so. Have to pass.
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 03-26-10 at 21:45.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ZDL; 05-01-10 at 02:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I never really thought about it. Have several LEO here in the neighborhood (marked cars) (plus a bunch of detectives, a fed or two). Maybe some day I'll have to ask about it when time is not so short...
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My .02 on ride-along programs...

A well-supervised and structured ride-along program is a great PR tool for the LE agency. Done well, it's an outstanding and highly effective way to promote the department, muster support, and recruit future employees. Done poorly, it can cause great harm.

If you're a LEO in the position to do so, consider extending an open ride-along invitation to employees of local businesses and institutions strategically selected to produce good returns for you. Develop a plan for their ride to put your best foot forward, and select only those officers that can reliably do so to carry the riders.

If you're a community member wanting to ride, reach out to your local agency expressing an interest in learning how the department works, what the myths and realities of the job are, and how you can help muster support for the department and its mission.

Arrive promptly. Dress comfortably for prevailing weather conditions, but professionally. Business casual is a good choice. Listen much, speak when you have something intelligent to say or legitimate to ask. Do what you're told, when you're told.

I racked up a few hundred hours of ride alongs in high school and college, and owe many of my successes today to cops that took the time to mentor and teach. I also owe much to some clowns I rode with that only took the time to run their mouth about their admins and governments, show off, dodge calls, and validate stereotypes.

If you're a cop with a rider, accept the challenge of the opportunity, rather than seeing it as a chore.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123