Thread: Training with the timer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Training with the timer

I just used the Surefire shot timer app on my Iphone and it worked great. My question is what is a good time to try for?
    Here is the rundown.
    M&P9 on waistband in Phantom holster covered with teeshirt or open coat at 7yrds. Hands hanging down. One shot on target.
    Targets consisting of paper plates and index cards.
    Fastest time was 1.69 with open coat(brushed aside with shooting hand) on paper plate. Slowest times were in the 2.20 second range with untucked t-shirt hung over pistol pulled back with non shooting hand( I fumbled around alot hanging up on the shirt sometimes). I had no consistancy on my times. Hitting the index cards made me even slower. I have had a little training on the timer with Grant in the summer of 2008 and cannot remember what to shoot for. I will try and progress to multiple shots later on and run some other drills. What times are you guys happy with for your first shot from concealment?
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Do it ten times and record your times. Take your third best time and make that your par time for your next session. When you are comfortably making your new par time, knock a tenth of a second off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good info. I will do it my next time out. Thanks
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Here are a bunch of drills:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16760

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. Alot of good things listed. I am making it a priority to practice more this year.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The best thing you can do is go out with someone who knows how to shoot. Have them run the timer and watch you. You can return the favor.

Get thyself to a shooting school as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am kind of limited to what I can do at my local range. Kelblys is more of a benchrest range. If no one is shooting at the short ranges I can do whatever drills I want. I am only off Saturday and it can be crowded sometimes. No one to train with out there. I need to just break down and go to a school like you said.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You can also practice dry fire with a timer as well.

Don't forget about dry fire.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I will do that. Thanks