Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which should be heavier: Squat or Deadlift?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fitM4 View Post
    You only need a belt if you're going to lift 90% or your 1 rep max, which would be rare if you're trying to get into shape. The "tactical" athletes that I train use higher reps lower weight most of the time. We will lift heavy occasionally. I don't let them use straps either. I only recommend straps for competetive power lifters because it helps them lift more weight because their grip won't give out. Also, I never let them use knee wraps. Wraps hold the knee cap in and it grinds on the posterior side which is very bad on your knees if used often. Also, due to the elastic energy it allows you to lift more than you're supposed to, which unless competing you don't need to do and it can lead to injury. You won't have these on the playing field or the field of battle to rely on, so we don't use them in the gym. As for your smaller weights, hey use what you got. However, the taller weights are designed for a reason, they're more user friendly and create better power angles for the average size man i guess. But like I said, use what you got.
    Use straps if your grip is limiting how much you pull. Do what you can to get your grip strength on par with rest of your pull, but don't neglect pulling heavy just because your grip can't keep up with your posterior chain.

For folks that have MUCH higher squats than deadlifts, I suggest most probably aren't going to parallel. (Yeah, I'm sure no one will own up to it, but most folks I see in the gym do quarter squats, at best. Don't know why it would be different on this board.) You can't cheat the deadlift.
    Last edited by comprido; 05-12-10 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comprido View Post
    For folks that have MUCH higher squats than deadlifts, I suggest most probably aren't going to parallel. (Yeah, I'm sure no one will own up to it, but most folks I see in the gym do quarter squats, at best. Don't know why it would be different on this board.) You can't cheat the deadlift.
    Some people (me) started squats a couple of years before deadlifting and/or emphasize squats more. So it depends.

Lately my squats has actually gotten worse, while my deads are getting better. Not really sure why?

What's a good hamstring exercise? They may be holding me back.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    some days will be better than others especially when you get my age,thats when you start trying to maintain.
    it becomes very hard to recoup from heavy squats and dead's
    dead/power once per month,squat heavy once per month,squat for reps once per month.
    i split up my quad hamstring exercises.
    age 52
    wgt 200#
    max sq 405#
    dead(sumo) 430#
    no belt no wraps if i cant hang onto it i dont need to be lifting it up

Feedback Score
    I don't dead anymore. I had a bad ribcage injury about 3 years ago and it just turned me off to deadlifting. My body just isn't built to do it heavy, long arms and legs with an average torso length.

At my heaviest BW 220lbs. (I'm 5'11"), my best totals were 465 dead, 405 squat, and 335 bench. Not super impressive numbers, but for a 40 y/o dude with a history of hip, knee, and ankle injuries, respectable. I've dropped my BW down to 190-195 range and went back to fight training w/ moderate weights and I actually feel better physically (most of the time). I stick to compound exercises and hit the cardio 4 times a week.(maybe more if you count BJJ class or Thai bag work).
    S/F

Al

"Hold on to your hate, it helps you stay focused"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    What's a good hamstring exercise? They may be holding me back.
    Stiff-legged deadlifts, for sure.

Beware, SLDLs are one of the most misunderstood and improperly done exercises ever. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in real life doing SLDLs with proper form (though I do lift at a pretty 'broski' gym... most common lift I see is squat-rack curls).

Will has a really good vid showing the form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcM06uq8Cr0

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345