Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which should be heavier: Squat or Deadlift?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Which should be heavier: Squat or Deadlift?

Which should be the heavier amount: the amount you can Squat, or what you can deadlift?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I used to squat 740 in the box... my dead lift was nowhere close.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Okay, another way of asking this would be: what are the current amounts you guys are Squatting, and Deadlifting?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Mid fours in the box... mid twos off the ground. Old back injuries.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you are doing full Parallel squats (not box squats) and full deadlifts, my experience has been that you can usually deadlift quite a bit more than you can squat but my squat has always been weak in comparison to my clean and deadlifts.

At my strongest I could deadlift 440 and squat 275 ish, now a days I can probably squat clean...225-250 and deadlift 350 ish.

YMMV

GU

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET20_GINSU View Post
    If you are doing full Parallel squats (not box squats) and full deadlifts, my experience has been that you can usually deadlift quite a bit more than you can squat but my squat has always been weak in comparison to my clean and deadlifts.

GU
    I would agree, if both are done CORRECT, you will dead lift probably 20-30% more weight then you can squat. There's a huge difference between a correct squat and what you see most guys doing at the gym.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Which should be the heavier amount: the amount you can Squat, or what you can deadlift?
    There's no should on that one. Due to mechanics, etc, etc, differences between people, it goes either way for people.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    There's no should on that one. Due to mechanics, etc, etc, differences between people, it goes either way for people.
    exactly. i was NEVER able to dead lift anywhere near what i could squat. think about it... depending on how you break up your workout and which parts you focus on, it could vary a lot. i have a buddy who can bench as much as his squat and his dead lift is close. it really does depend on a) what willbrink said... mechanics, etc. and b) how you focus your workout.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I am 6'2" and honestly felt that deadlift was working against me. I could squat over 600lbs at my peak around 18yo. I could only deadlift ~405lbs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well I'm new at these, building the amounts I do slowly and I was sure I heard somewhere that Deadlift should be more, but for me after the latest weight I added, the deadlift was very hard but I feel like I'm nowhere near having difficulty with the same amount in a squat.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast