Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems w/ exposed low profile gas block??

Feedback Score

Question Problems w/ exposed low profile gas block??

I've decided to go with a 14.5 middy for my 1st rifle. I'm going to have a DD lite 9.0 rail installed when I purchase the rifle. I also want to use flip up buis to give me an unobstructed fov through my eotech. With this set up, my gas block will be exposed. As this will be my duty rifle, will this create a problem?
    If I use a quality low profile gas block, will I be okay? I was looking at the ones from Larue. I know dd makes a m4 10.0 rail, but I need the continuous uninterrupted upper rail to mount my eotech further forward.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think you may have more options than you think, but having an exposed low profile gas block should not be an issue if it's installed correctly with dimples in the barrel under the setscrews, propper alignment of the gas port, etc.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TN cop View Post
    I've decided to go with a 14.5 middy for my 1st rifle. I'm going to have a DD lite 9.0 rail installed when I purchase the rifle. I also want to use flip up buis to give me an unobstructed fov through my eotech. With this set up, my gas block will be exposed. As this will be my duty rifle, will this create a problem?
    If I use a quality low profile gas block, will I be okay? I was looking at the ones from Larue. I know dd makes a m4 10.0 rail, but I need the continuous uninterrupted upper rail to mount my eotech further forward.

Thanks in advance.
    Why not cut down and grind down your FSB or use a low profile gas block (dimpled bbl, and use loc-tite on the screws) or have Randall at www.AR15barrels.com install it, he can pin the low profile gas block so it can't move. And then use a DD 12.0 Lite Rail that will completely cover the gas block and get your iron sights further apart?

Mine has a 16" Middy bbl, and a 12" (rifle length) JP V-TAC tube.

Because yours is a 14.5" barrel the amount of exposed barrel would even less then on my 3 gun rifle (16"). On my upper I cutdown and ground down the FSB (and refinished in GunKote) so if fit nicely under the tube and I have the inherently reliability of a pinned gas block which won't ever move. The JP V-TAC does have an optional top rail which will create a continuous rail from the charging handle top the end of the tube if you want. It's a lot cheaper than FF rails, the V-TAC allows you to add rail where ever you need it for mounting lights, sights, forward grips etc. I think a 14.5"bbl with a 12" JP tube would be awesome. If you need help assembling something like this PM me.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4.php
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another option would be to send the upper to GG&G and have them install their flipup front sight. They match the holes in the barrel and re-install your pins so that the FSB/Gasblock is in the exact same place and mounted just as securely as the original.

Feedback Score
    I've decided to go with a 14.5 middy for my 1st rifle. I'm going to have a DD lite 9.0 rail installed when I purchase the rifle.... I know dd makes a m4 10.0 rail, but I need the continuous uninterrupted upper rail to mount my eotech further forward.

Thanks in advance.
    You should realize if this hasn't already been pointed out that the DD literail is NOT a continuous uninterrupted rail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
    You should realize if this hasn't already been pointed out that the DD literail is NOT a continuous uninterrupted rail.
    Not being argumentative, but copied from Daniel Defense's website "The Daniel Defense AR15 Lite Rail utilizes the Patent Pending Bolt Up SystemTM which allows the upper receiver to have a continuous uninterrupted upper rail platform." http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...&product_id=74

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies....

I had looked at the new GG&G Tactical Modular Flip Up Front Sight as well as the DD 12.0 Lite Rail to cover the low pro gas block. I would like to have a well balanced rifle and was worried that either of the above would make the rifle front heavy. I understand that we're talking about oz. but I don't have the 1st hand experience that you guys have. I read a post on another board where the writer complained about the GG&G being heavy. I never thought about using JP V-TAC tube, so that might be an option. Will it stand up to the abuse of being part of a duty rifle?

The set up I'm contemplating is a DD 9.0 lite rail w/ Larue low pro gas block and a ARMS #40L rear w/ a Samson quick flip front site. What do you guys think? Thanks again for your help and advice.

Feedback Score
    Not being argumentative, but copied from Daniel Defense's website "The Daniel Defense AR15 Lite Rail utilizes the Patent Pending Bolt Up SystemTM which allows the upper receiver to have a continuous uninterrupted upper rail platform." http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...&product_id=74
    To me a continuous top rail is a Vltor VIS or LMT MRP. I have a DD lite rail and while it is more continuous than DD's M4 rails, or Larue rails, or others it is not continuous in the respect that there is a gap between your upper reciever and your rail. It is very slight, and lines up really well but it is not one continuous rail from back of the reciever to front of the rail. ON the VIS or MRP you can place you optic mounts anywhere you want. On the Lite rail it would not be a good idea to mount one ring on the reciever and the other on the rail. I am also not trying to be argumenative and DD makes great products and are stand up people.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies....

I had looked at the new GG&G Tactical Modular Flip Up Front Sight as well as the DD 12.0 Lite Rail to cover the low pro gas block. I would like to have a well balanced rifle and was worried that either of the above would make the rifle front heavy. I understand that we're talking about oz. but I don't have the 1st hand experience that you guys have. I read a post on another board where the writer complained about the GG&G being heavy. I never thought about using JP V-TAC tube, so that might be an option. Will it stand up to the abuse of being part of a duty rifle?

The set up I'm contemplating is a DD 9.0 lite rail w/ Larue low pro gas block and a ARMS #40L rear w/ a Samson quick flip front site. What do you guys think? Thanks again for your help and advice.

If your going with middy gas and a 9.0 rail, then also look at the PRI flip up front/gb. VLTOR is also coming out with something like this soon.

I personally do not like to have my GB's sitting out in the open and much prefer to run a rail over them. DD makes the lite rail in a 10" model.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    DD makes the lite rail in a 10" model.

C4
    Grant, I didn't realize that DD made a 10.0 lite rail I was unable to find it on the DD website, but I see that you carry it in your inventory. Did DD quit making the DD 10.0 lite rail? Does the 10.0 lite rail you carry have the same specs as the rest of the DD lite rails......most important to me is the upper receiver to have a "continuous uninterrupted upper rail".

I knew DD had the M4 10.0 rail, but it doesn't have the features of the lite rails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast