Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I took the plunge.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, I took the plunge.

After fingering the Arsenal underfolder, I came upon an identically configured Zastava-marked Yugo underfolder. No, it's not an Arsenal, but it's nice in its own right...and it relieves me of the (irrational, imo) desire for a $1300 AK.

I just tried to take a pic, and my camera didn't have enough charge to get it done.

Range report - I took it out and fired a hundred rounds through it this evening, and was very pleasantly surprised at how painful it WASN'T to shoot. The stock is tight and locks up without play, and recoil and so on were really no big deal.

This is my first AK, and I kind of like the ugly ****ing thing.

Pics to follow when my camera gets charged back up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just wrap the stock in 550 cord and you'll be set. The Yugos are pretty nice.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sounds great. Bear in mind that they those don't have a chrome lined barrel so be sure to clean the rifle if you're using corrosive surplus ammo.

Give it a chance and these things grow on you.......
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Just wrap the stock in 550 cord and you'll be set. The Yugos are pretty nice.
    Cool. I may add an Ultimak rail to it, one of my friends put one on his Yugo and mounted up an Aimpoint, and it's low enough to lower third co-witness. After so much time behind an Aimpoint, irons just suck...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Sounds great. Bear in mind that they those don't have a chrome lined barrel so be sure to clean the rifle if you're using corrosive surplus ammo.

Give it a chance and these things grow on you.......
    Yeah, I heard that about the barrel. There probably isn't a lot of corrosive left, is there? I was just shooting Wolf Military Classic.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    After so much time behind an Aimpoint, irons just suck...
    I find that I shoot much more accurately with irons vs. non magnified optics, but I'm a whole lot faster with an Aimpoint or Eotech vs. irons.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I find that I shoot much more accurately with irons vs. non magnified optics, but I'm a whole lot faster with an Aimpoint or Eotech vs. irons.
    Hmmm... I'm faster, and more accurate with the Aimpoint. Oh, well...I need to lay in a supply of magazines for this beast, and some spare parts, before I mess with that.

What breaks on AKs? I keep a pretty well stocked parts cabinet for my ARs and 1911s, so I'm not averse to working on it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    From time to time surplus still crops up.

The Yugo M67 ball is great stuff, but corrosive. Same with the Hungarian MFS.

Pretty much treat any non commercial ammo in this caliber as corrosive.

Wolf is just fine. Try some Golden Tiger, it's made in the Vimpel plant and tends to have higher standards than the Wolf made by Tula.

Bulldog1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    What breaks on AKs? I keep a pretty well stocked parts cabinet for my ARs and 1911s, so I'm not averse to working on it.
    Nothing, thats why they are AKs!

Be careful, they tend to MULTIPLY!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Stay away from US made mags, any country of origin for military mags are fine, they all work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast