Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Firearms Laws

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New Jersey Firearms Laws

Hey everyone, I am new to this site so if this is in the wrong section I am sorry, and it can be moved or whatever the penalty might be. But I live in the state of New Jersey ( unfortunately) and was just wondering if anyone knew of some where I can view a list of what is legal and not legal to own in this state pertaining to firearms. For example an officer told me that it is not legal to have a magazine that can hold more than 10rds on any firearm. There is also rules against silencers and folding stocks, though I am not sure what they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated because local help from state officials pretty much is "If you question it don't own it or we'll arrested you." as this is a very unfriendly state for firearms.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That site had a lot of information. Thank you.
    I

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    more than 10 rounds yes, more then 15, no lol

Welcome to the board fellow sufferer

Feedback Score
    I live in NJ as well and have learned where to go to find the latest and greatest in our "Great States" (said tongue in cheek & sarcasm dripping from every word) firearms laws. http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_ag2.html midway down the page on the right are links to the pertinent chapters. You want chapter 39 for what is legal and what guns are not as well as who can own a gun. Chapter 58 handles sales and carry issues. To be honest you need to read every thing because it is disjointed at best. Example early in 2c:58 It leads you to believe that no one under the age of 18 may take into their possession of a long gun and anyone under the age of 21 a handgun for what ever reason, even hunting. You have to read much further into the chapter to get to the exceptions portion that allows these young people under the supervision of a parent or certified trainer to handle these weapons. Why that couldn't have been incorporated in the section limiting the transfer of possession I don't know.

Don't expect the police to have a good working understanding of the law either. The NJ Attorney General had to issue a letter explaining what substantially similar meant with regards to assault weapons. The police were arresting everyone that had anything similar to the prohibited list. To be frank it's not the LEO's fault the laws are long and confusing. It could be written more clearly and thats the legislatures fault not the police. In fact it is my experience most Leo's are on our side.

To answer your questions on silencers and magazines.

Silencers - illegal
    Magazines are limited 15 rounds or less. The 10 round limit was the federal ban that has expired.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any other questions just ask. We all feel your pain in this thread.

Also, hollow points are legal for home defense here. Don't believe the hype, just don't drive with them if possible.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Any other questions just ask. We all feel your pain in this thread.

Also, hollow points are legal for home defense here. Don't believe the hype, just don't drive with them if possible.
    I can never find a clear answer on that. Can they be used for home defence or not? I have had people say yes, and some say no.

The only thing I got so far is that you can own them, but you can only transport them to/from the range and home unless you are a LEO.

Every thing else seems more strait cut. 15 rounds or less, got it. No flash hider/bayonette lug, collapsing stock, supressor barrels under 16" OAL, no problem.

Sucks, but what can you do other than move out, and its not as easy to do as it is to say.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I can never find a clear answer on that. Can they be used for home defence or not? I have had people say yes, and some say no.

The only thing I got so far is that you can own them, but you can only transport them to/from the range and home unless you are a LEO.
    You got it all then. But again, "transportation" can be a questionable area, so use caution and keep them packed up good in the back and away from the weapon.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    You got it all then. But again, "transportation" can be a questionable area, so use caution and keep them packed up good in the back and away from the weapon.
    That is why I don't even bother...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, well I applied for all my permits a while back, but several people have told me any where between 6 - 8 months.... so for now i guess i just have to read and be jealous of all the fun you guys are having without me.... boo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast