Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: warning! too much personal info on this site

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

warning! too much personal info on this site

hey everyone, just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this site that came to my attention today. i know that there are a bunch of these websites out there, but i think this particular website has way too much personal information on it.

http://www.spokeo.com/

i typed my name in the search bar and this website gave such information as, the names of my entire family that live with me, approximate income, some websites that i post on, and the most disturbing, my address and even a picture of my house. i just wanted to put this info out there, so that others can remove the listing from the site. like i said before, i know that there are other websites that do the same thing, this information is public record and i think is covered by the freedom of information act but it just made me a little uncomfortable. im the paranoid type so all kinds of alarms went off in my head when i saw this, if ur like me, then u probably want to remove these listings. if anyone knows of other websites like this feel free to post up so that if some of us want to remove our info, then we can. on spokeo, if u want to remove ur listing, search for your name, find the correct one by the city that u live in, and click the privacy link on the bottom right hand side of the page. hope this helps.

richie

Feedback Score
    I found myself on there and removed the profile. Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you have to join up to remove your profile? I can't find any privacy button on the lower right hand of the page.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Do you have to join up to remove your profile? I can't find any privacy button on the lower right hand of the page.
    You don't have to join. Once you find your profile look at the lower right corner and you should see it in small print. Its not by itself, but says ' About Blog Privacy Terms Help Contact.'

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It had three family members for me. Most of the data was bogus, but it did have some correct info, plus the photo of my house. It only let me remove two out of the three, then cited policy about not removing all members.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrpederson View Post
    hey everyone, just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this site that came to my attention today. i know that there are a bunch of these websites out there, but i think this particular website has way too much personal information on it.

http://www.spokeo.com/

i typed my name in the search bar and this website gave such information as, the names of my entire family that live with me, approximate income, some websites that i post on, and the most disturbing, my address and even a picture of my house. i just wanted to put this info out there, so that others can remove the listing from the site. like i said before, i know that there are other websites that do the same thing, this information is public record and i think is covered by the freedom of information act but it just made me a little uncomfortable. im the paranoid type so all kinds of alarms went off in my head when i saw this, if ur like me, then u probably want to remove these listings. if anyone knows of other websites like this feel free to post up so that if some of us want to remove our info, then we can. on spokeo, if u want to remove ur listing, search for your name, find the correct one by the city that u live in, and click the privacy link on the bottom right hand side of the page. hope this helps.

richie
    THANKS for the heads up!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Interesting. Most of the info was bogus including address and home owner status (I have not lived at that address for 3 years for example). The wife was listed twice, once as a 60 year old male and once as a 60 year old female. She is female of course but not near 60.

AM in the process of requesting removal now.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good catch and thanks for letting us all know! Does anybody else know of any MORE websites like this? I would really like to get more control over my privacy.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up. The info listed was mostly inaccurate, but I am necessarily a very private person so I deleted it anyway.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast