Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet shop owner fined £1,000 and told to wear an electronic tag for selling a goldfish

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Maybe I should start a thread with articles about the whacked out Brits and their idea of self defense laws. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ll-family.html
    A father who defended his family from drug-crazed thugs by wounding one with a Samurai sword has been cleared by a jury.
    David Fullard, 47, was prosecuted for attacking the two strangers who forced their way into his home and threatened to rape his partner and kill his two teenage children.
    He insisted he was a desperate man acting legally in self-defence and struck out once with the ornamental sword, because it was the only weapon to hand.

The blow almost sliced off the ear of Michael Severs, one of the thugs.
    The prosecution refused to accept that his actions amounted to lawful self-defence and argued it was 'over the top' to attack a man armed with a knuckleduster by using a 'battlefield weapon'.

The two thugs were both high on a cocktail of drink and drugs at the time, the court heard.

But after a five-day trial at Hull Crown Court, Mr Fullard, a builder, broke down in tears as he was found not guilty of unlawful wounding.
    It ended a nine-month ordeal for a man described by neighbours as 'honest and caring'. He had faced the threat of a long prison term.
    The case represents another landmark in the debate over how far a householder should be allowed to go in defending his home from an intruder.

Yesterday jobless Severs, 22, and Michael Smith, 19, escaped with a suspended prison sentence and 100 hours of community work after admitting affray at the court.

Judge Michael Mettyear then lifted a reporting restriction on the case.
    Outside court Mr Fullard criticised the judge for allowing the men to get away with a 'slap on the wrists'.
    He added: 'You cannot stand around and do nothing when someone-comes to your house and starts threatening your family.'
    Mr Fullard has been supported throughout by partner Susan Neal, 53, and his sons Danny, 14, and Tom, 17, who were in the house during the incident in March last year.
    He added: 'I only struck one blow with the sword. If there had been a walking stick or umbrella by the door I would have hit him with that.'

'You cannot stand around and do nothing when someone comes to your house and starts threatening your family'
    The court heard Severs and Smith, who both have previous convictions for violence, vaguely knew Mr Fullard's elder son and knocked on the door of the family home in Brough, East Yorkshire, claiming he owed them £5 from earlier in the day.
    It was a ruse to get cash but Smith barged into the living room while Mr Fullard was upstairs and threatened Miss Neal. She told the jury he picked up the ornamental sword and said: 'Do you want some of this?'
    She said: 'They threatened to rape me, burn the house down, kill the kids and kill Dave.'
    Smith then ran out and Mr Fullard was confronted by Severs in the garden. The thug was armed with a spade and a knuckle-duster.

Mr Fullard told the jury he picked up the sword and 'hit him once' and intended for the 'flat of the sword' rather than the blade to connect. He then called police.
    Mr Fullard was arrested and only later did police arrest Smith and Severs, who had his ear re-attached in hospital.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    so the guy whose mom sold a goldfish to a 14 year old got a harsher sentence than two burglars who were stopped from raping women and children only by a man with a sword...
    Last edited by bkb0000; 03-31-10 at 01:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    Looking like very shortly, pets in Minnesota will enjoy legal protection from domestic abuse.
    Just like in 14 other states.
    Does this mean that there will be stricter/harsher laws against animal abusers? If so, I am all for it. People who abuse animals are on the same level as child abusers in my book. I can't even watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet. I get so F'ing mad at those people, if I were in those cops’ shoes I don't know if I could stop myself from beating the abuser to within an inch of their life.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyCE View Post
    Does this mean that there will be stricter/harsher laws against animal abusers? If so, I am all for it. People who abuse animals are on the same level as child abusers in my book. I can't even watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet. I get so F'ing mad at those people, if I were in those cops’ shoes I don't know if I could stop myself from beating the abuser to within an inch of their life.
    you got this far through this thread, and THIS is what you're pissed about?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    People who abuse animals are on the same level as child abusers in my book.
    Not even close. I'm gonna go flush a goldfish down a toilet tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    you got this far through this thread, and THIS is what you're pissed about?
    Well, if lived in Great Brittan I would definitely be more pissed about how my rights were being trampled on; however, that country has been heading down this road for quite some time and seeing stories like this isn’t surprising anymore.

I was just expressing an opinion related to what 11Bravo posted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Don't laugh. We're on the very same road.......
    No kidding. We are currently on the same trajectory as the UK, we're just 20-30 years behind on the curve. This kind of shit will be in our papers in another generation of things do not change drastically.
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 03-31-10 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, if lived in Great Brittan I would definitely be more pissed about how my rights were being trampled on; however, that country has been heading down this road for quite some time and seeing stories like this isn’t surprising anymore.
    If I lived in Great Britain, I'd go buy 10 goldfish and swallow them in front of news cameras in protest.

Then again, I wouldn't live in that Orwellian shithole of a country in the first place, and if I did, I would have already been branded a serious criminal for any number of other things I do every day.

God help that place.

Feedback Score
    Your book is written wrong or you are reading it backward. Abusing animals, especially what the .gov considers "abuse" is not even in the same realm as child abuse.

I second the motion to flush goldfish down the toilet to protest the sentencing of that poor woman.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    No kidding. We are currently on the same trajectory as the UK, we're just 20-30 years behind on the curve. This kind of shit will be in our papers in another generation of things do not change drastically.
    20 to 30 years appears to be generous, IMHO. 5-10 at most....
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast