Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Police and jumper cables?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We don't do it my current agency. My old job used to have one of the boxes AND used to make people sign a damage liability waiver!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agencies I've worked for are also prohibited from jump starting cars, for the reasons listed. My employer does equip each patrol car with the starter pack to assist motorists. Helping with lock-outs, beyond calling a locksmith or breaking glass, is also prohibited because of damage claims. We can still help change tires and are encouraged to do so. Cars have a hydraulic jack in them and a big 4 way wrench. I suspect that this will also go away when someone files a claim of damage, or when an employee makes a back injury claim.

Unfortunate, as assisting motorists in these ways is great PR and produces a lot of atta-boys for employees.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not a cop but I have a "no jumping" policy as well, having fried a $700 engine control computer on a previous car when I decided to be nice and help somebody.

Not making that mistake again and will be glad to explain it to anyone who is sour about my refusal to jump them off my battery. Maybe I did something "wrong" that time that could be avoided, but I don't know what that is and my ECM is not going to be a guinea pig again.

Feedback Score
    The no jumping is to protect the equipment in our cars. The no tire changing is because of liability issues should the tire come off. We are also not allowed to do unlocks unless there is a child or animal in the car that is in danger. Both the tire rule and the unlock rule came about due to people wanting the city to pay for supposed damage to their cars, caused by the officer. In other words, some jerks have made it so we can't help people.
    Same policy in my department. Occasionally, I ignore it and help people out, but I could get my ass in a sling for doing it.
    The opinions expressed on this board are mine and mine alone. They do not represent any departments or organizations I may be a member of.

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - ILN, 4/19/30

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - Varied Types

G.K. Chesterton

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    huh.. i saw a colorado state patrol guy putting a tire iron back in his trunk, i assume he changed the person's tire for them. thought that was a nice gesture. i could see it being an issue though...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123