Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police and jumper cables?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    do none of you LEOs have integral jump cables in your interceptors?? Portland area PSOs all have 'em.. flip a little door, out comes cables already hooked up and ready to go. maybe it was a custom order specifically for PPS

and yea, "computers and stuff" is a load of crap. whatever their reason for not wanting to jump citizens, that's total BS. the alternator surges current every time the vehicle RPM changes- you think the car can't handle the tiny little surges and draws from jumping a car battery?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 03-31-10 at 00:16.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Believe it or not, a lot of times the "no jumping" clause can be attributed to policy/admin because of the aforementioned liabilities (voltage spikes damaging sensitive electrical equipment).

Thank them for those "great" SOPs.

There are some newer "smart" technology jumper cables out there on the market though (ones that help prevent such damage to electrical equipment).

YMMV

Feedback Score
    No jumping for us either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ras61541 View Post
    We are actually issued jumper cables and use them all the time... half the time on our own cars because all of the equipment in them drains the battery. That being said I have seen (on two different occasions) someone put one end of the jumper cables on backwards and blow the electrical in both cars.
    I am constantly helping my friends jump there police cars when they die and so far they still both work fine.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I am a police officer and I also had my own business installing police equipment in police vehicles. The main issue is that the mobile radio is wired direct to the battery for noise cancellation and power draw when transmitting. When jump starting a vehicle, you can touch the two cables together and even if it's for a split second, you can spike the system (ground) and short out the mobile radio. There is very sensitive equipment inside the main unit of a mobile radio. I used to install a circuit breaker with a disable switch on it near the battery so you can disconnect the radio from the battery and jump start a vehicle. Now, with the new LED light bars, those circuit breakers are not needed because the current draw is much less. We also carry a battery buddy in the trunk and that is what we use to jump start stranded motorists.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    We are not allowed to jump start or change tires.

The no jumping is to protect the equipment in our cars. The no tire changing is because of liability issues should the tire come off. We are also not allowed to do unlocks unless there is a child or animal in the car that is in danger. Both the tire rule and the unlock rule came about due to people wanting the city to pay for supposed damage to their cars, caused by the officer. In other words, some jerks have made it so we can't help people.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The AM/FM radio was damaged when I jumped my Charger with another cruiser. It still worked but the display wouldn't come on.
    We very rarely jump start cars other than our own when necessary; and we use the box whenever possible. For years we've been told the radio equipment could be damaged.

Feedback Score
    I guess there's always the possibility of someone hooking up a cable wrong and some departments just wanting to avoid any liability.

But, while I'm not LEO, I've had quite a bit of sensitive electronic equipment installed over the years and have never had a problem with jumping provided it was done correctly and the equipment was wired correctly. Have had amateur radio units in cars, various aftermarket stereo/amps, and currently run a full windows based PC (using mini-atx board) with an LCD for mobile navi and music.

If I haven't fried an actual computer hooked to the battery then I think it's pretty safe. And everything is properly wired to battery using fuses on both positive and negative leads and using the appropriate regulators, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    Thanks for the smile and for your service to your community. I can honestly say through interactions like that you've probably done a huge favor to your profession and how those people view police officers. Not to mention how many people they tell about the nice officer who helped them in a time of need.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    I do it all the time, with cables I bought for that exact reason. My shit has never blown up

Our car's batteries are always running dead too, with all the junk hooked up to it.

Granted, if I am on a detail I can't. I find it's a great way to make positive contacts with citizens. I am also the goober that will stop and help elderly folks brush snow off thier car in the winter time.

Why not?
    I second what IrishLuck said. Thank you!
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast