Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the law on minors transporting firearms?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What's the law on minors transporting firearms?

I pose this question because I've often wondered if there was any law pertaining to it. I am under the age of 18 but have to travel to KY every other weekend and sometimes bring a few of my guns to shoot at a range I frequent down there. Im well aware of the laws on transporting arms in general, but not of any age restrictions. Usually if I can't lock the container my rifle is in (soft bag) I will usually just strip the bolt down and put it in a baggy in the glove box. Any sidearms I carry are field stripped (except revolvers). I try not to stop anywhere but for fuel as I drive a little single cab toyota, and after I load one rifle behind the seat I have to stick any additional rifles in the seat so I am very cautious of people looking in you know?

I tried a google search and really nothing comes up, or I searched wrong. Anyway its just something I was pondering. I suppose I should have looked into it prior but......
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    gonna have to check local laws.. i dont think any federal laws come into play, since you're not transferring ownership or anything. ORS (oregon law), for instance, provides that minors can transport firearms, even pistols, if the usual weapon statutes are followed (i.e. any concealed weapons be kept unloaded and ammunition compartmentally separated, etc.), to and from hunting or shooting events. since you say you're crossing state lines, you'll need to check the local laws of each state.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 04-01-10 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's probably going to be a big hell no if you don't have your guardian with you.

And it's something that can ruin your life if you do get charged with a weapons violation.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you are under 18 how do you own your own firearms? I would contact the State Police for or find some kind of local .gov reference for the laws. Because there's gonna be that off chance where your gonna be stopped by a Police officer and he's gonna wonder why your under age and moving guns in your vehicle. Like Templar said getting in trouble for something like this could ruin a lot of things for you later in life.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Especially crossing state lines.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    If you are under 18 how do you own your own firearms? I would contact the State Police for or find some kind of local .gov reference for the laws. Because there's gonna be that off chance where your gonna be stopped by a Police officer and he's gonna wonder why your under age and moving guns in your vehicle. Like Templar said getting in trouble for something like this could ruin a lot of things for you later in life.
    I don't know about where he is at but in Wyoming, it is legal to give a firearm to a minor. Ive had my own rifles since I was eight I think.
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ZDL; 05-01-10 at 02:22.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Based on my limited experience out of state, adult supervision is generally required.

I cannot speak for other states, but here is an interesting string of legal facts about California:

1.) It is against the law for someone under age 18 to be in possession of a handgun.

2.) The minimum legal age to purchase a handgun is 21 years old.

3.) The minimum legal age to be a Peace Officer in CA is 18 years old.

4.) So, a very few folks (a friend of mine, now a Lieutenant with the Sheriff's Office, for example) were hired as Peace Officers at age 18, and had their parents buy their handguns for them while they attended the academy. Once graduated and sworn in, they were exempt.

5.) They still could not legally enter a bar and order a drink until they reached 21, although they could conduct bar checks on duty.

How's that for sublime?!

Source for confirmation: www.leginfo.ca.gov

So, since the laws are not required to make any sense, please check your local laws... (but IMHO, it doesn't sound promising to me, and in CA -- your parents could be liable/prosecuted for allowing you to possess it unsupervised, especially if someone were injured, etc.)...
    Last edited by PRGGodfather; 04-01-10 at 20:28.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will most definitely check the laws before I take them with me again but I was just wondering if you all had any ideas of the laws. I may be under 18 but I've been taught how to safely handle and use firearms. Thats my career path, and not just a hobby so when I travel, at least one of my guns goes with me (if I'm going somewhere it can be shot of course, or on a trip I dont feel safe on without it) I've paid for every one I own except 2, and my parent trusts me to have them in my possession. Hope that clears up a few things. Im not just a random teenager waltzing between states with loaded firearms. I do understand how getting pulled over could potentially ruin my shooting career. And I realized I had better start checking, so thats what Im trying to do now. Round up some info.

Thanks for your replies, and opinions, they are always appreciated
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGGodfather View Post
    Based on my limited experience out of state, adult supervision is generally required.

I cannot speak for other states, but here is an interesting string of legal facts about California:

1.) It is against the law for someone under age 18 to be in possession of a handgun.

2.) The minimum legal age to purchase a handgun is 21 years old.

3.) The minimum legal age to be a Peace Officer in CA is 18 years old.

4.) So, a very few folks (a friend of mine, now a Lieutenant with the Sheriff's Office, for example) were hired as Peace Officers at age 18, and had their parents buy their handguns for them while they attended the academy. Once graduated and sworn in, they were exempt.

5.) They still could not legally enter a bar and order a drink until they reached 21, although they could conduct bar checks on duty.

How's that for sublime?!

Source for confirmation: www.leginfo.ca.gov

So, since the laws are not required to make any sense, please check your local laws... (but IMHO, it doesn't sound promising to me, and in CA -- your parents could be liable/prosecuted for allowing you to possess it unsupervised, especially if someone were injured, etc.)...
    Thats weird, but then again its california.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast