Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best place to buy a Matched Set of Uppers and Lowers. And the winner is?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Supra View Post
    I would love to know why. I have handled a few billet lowers and uppers. Obviously, the fit and finish is top-notch. However, if receiver play "matters not", what advantage does the expensive billet set offer over a good forged set?

The upper and lower I pictured above were ordered from John at Rainier Arms. They were not a "matched" set. In fact, the upper was shipped to me on a separate order from the lower. All 4 of your criteria were met, and no extra money was spent. While the mag well release lines up fairly evenly, it lines up even more closely now that the set has been assembled with a parts kit. Excellent fit and finish for the money...

Two words for you....Square and True! This is what is MOST important in an upper receiver. Billet lowers are just nice to look at IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Two words for you....Square and True! This is what is MOST important in an upper receiver. Billet lowers are just nice to look at IMHO.
    Oh, I definitely agree. Billet receivers are gorgeous! I was just wondering if there was any performance advantage over a good forged set. All my ARs are your run-of-the-mill CQB mall ninja specials. I have never built a precision long-range AR (working on an 18" 6.8SPC soon), so my forged receivers have worked well for me.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Supra View Post
    Oh, I definitely agree. Billet receivers are gorgeous! I was just wondering if there was any performance advantage over a good forged set. All my ARs are your run-of-the-mill CQB mall ninja specials. I have never built a precision long-range AR (working on an 18" 6.8SPC soon), so my forged receivers have worked well for me.
    I cannot think of anything that a forging would give you over a billet.

C4

Feedback Score

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kilo.juliet View Post
    Hey Turbo, thanks for posting your pic of your MEGA's. I'm glad your project is turning out for you.

I don't know how experienced you are with all the different brands of uppers/lowers, but I can tell you that some brands are rather mis-matched in every way. They also produce a very loose fit that most precision/match shooters do not like, even if you tell them it doesn't matter. Because it matters to them, a lot. The matched set gives them an edge and security knowing that all has been done to eliminate a possible weak point.

As far as a billet set goes, the theory is that they are made to a tighter tolerance than the forged set. Many good quality forged uppers when placed on a true, flat surface and then straight edged will show some minor to major "warpage" either in the threaded section at the barrel slip or on the flat-top portion of the upper. Needless to say, your barrel will not be pointing as straight as it could be or your sights will be off. This could also cause the BCG to bind and induce feeding problems.

Of course, a billet is only as good as the CNC machine, programer, and machine operator make it. La Rue Tactical stakes his reputation on it. If a forged part is made perfect or to the same tolerance as a billet part, there is no difference as to which is better as far as accuracy goes.

Furthermore, and more important, most forged uppers and lowers were never made to be ultra-precise, they were made more in the realm of Mil-Spec. The billets of today are made especially for precision applications with more controll and tighter tolerances.

All you need to know is right here and is as basic as can be.

Billets will do nothing for you in CQB roles but will help you for long-range precision work.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys!
    "I can't think of nothin' finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun." --- Frankie Figs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123