Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ammo are you using?

Feedback Score

What ammo are you using?

I am going to pic up my first m4 today, a rock river arms a4 flat top with a 1/9 twist and was just wonderiing what kind of ammo everyone here shoots?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mostly Federal XM193, but I do have a cache of about 2000 Prvi Partizan M855.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    get whats cheap
    brown bear
    pmc
    hornady tap training
    etc...
    congrats!
    Last edited by sadmin; 04-02-10 at 13:31.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    I also have a RRA 1/9 twist. Mine is mid length and chrome lined. I threw a 10x scope on it to test accuracy at 100 yards using sandbags ect with a few types of cheaper 55g ammo.

There was a big difference in accuracy between them

I shot 12 round groups at 100 yards. six shot strings with plenty of cool down time between each six shots.

Winchester 223 55g white box
    Winchester 556 55g white box
    Remington 223 55g
    PMC bronze 223 55g

By FAR the worst was winchester 223. Its group size was over twice as big as the others
    Winchester 556 was second worst, but noticeably better than the 223.
    PMC and Remington were the best, with Remington being slightly better.

I have yet to test a quality ammo or any other weights, and I don't reload yet. I just wanted to see what cheap stuff worked the best in my rifle so I would know what to buy.

Feedback Score
    pmc shoots straight!

Feedback Score
    Pretty much trying to shoot Hornady Training … not really a better high consumption ammo out there.
    Last edited by dragonfly; 05-18-10 at 01:34.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    pmc, federal, prvi partisan, hornady, blackhills, and anything else I can get my paws on.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been wanting to start shooting 75 or 62 as often as I can for the reasons others mentioned in other threads. Less so of XM193 or Q3131.

I've used the Wolf 75 (non gold) but it is OOS at the usual places I buy. 75 and 62 in other brands can add up. Prvi Match is OK at about $11 a box.

Regarding WOLF fears … before someone asks … I think of it this way. I train with it. Part of training is clearing unexpected problems and that includes ammo related issues. So any concerns I have with the ammo reliability to me is secondary to learning to deal with the unexpected.

I've had the odd double feed and the like but can say that I have been fairly surprised in the LACK of problems I anticipated.

For 'critical', non-training, issues I have yet to settle, but I will probably end up using Black Hills or TAP in 75gr.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm going to go with PMC Bronze and Hornady TAP Training and whatever else I can find a good deal on. I have seen pretty good reviews for both of those though.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    Just picked up my M4 this weekend. What is recomended for 1:7 twist. Do you go with the heavier loads or like a 55 grain? I know it's all a matter of choice and what shoots good with the rifle. Just looking for opinions and looking what most of you shoot. Does it matter what the barrel twist is when it comes to ammo that is 55 grain vs. ammo at 62? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast