Thread: Running Advice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Running Advice

I'm currently starting my outdoor running after a long winter stuck inside, but I'm a pretty long ways from my 5-mile run goal.

I've run a 44:40 5-mile run on the treadmill, and a 47:00 5-mile run earlier this week outdoors, but I'd like to have my outdoor time down to 40:00 within the next two or three months or so.

I've been running Tues, Thurs, and Sat, alternating days with Lifting, and leaving Sunday for rest. I had been running a 5k at 7mph in addition to my lifting for 6 days of the week, but I feel like this schedule provides for much better recovery.

Also, I've been cutting calories down to 1500 a day, with 200g of protein, so that pretty much means I live on chicken and protein shakes, lol. I've lost a good bit of weight as well, starting at 194 this Sun, down to 189 today, and my goal is to hit 160 in the next couple of months.

I think my running times will be much easier if I'm lighter, this seems like common sense to me, but just how true is it? Would I be better served to maintain my energy and focus on running at my current weight, with a spare 30lb of fat or so, and slowly lose it that way?

Or do I have the right idea to keep running, but focus on getting down to a weight where speed gains will be easier?

I'm obviously pretty new to outdoor running, and so far my biggest problem is pace, but this will probably go away with experience (I hope at least ) Does anyone have any useful tips, like breathing techniques, stride advice, or is this one of those things that I'm just gonna have to keep doing until I get better at it?
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Leg strength plays a large part in running, for me at least. My leg strength has always increased faster than I have lost weight, and my times have reflected that strength played a larger role than weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    I'm currently starting my outdoor running after a long winter stuck inside, but I'm a pretty long ways from my 5-mile run goal.

I've run a 44:40 5-mile run on the treadmill, and a 47:00 5-mile run earlier this week outdoors, but I'd like to have my outdoor time down to 40:00 within the next two or three months or so.

I've been running Tues, Thurs, and Sat, alternating days with Lifting, and leaving Sunday for rest. I had been running a 5k at 7mph in addition to my lifting for 6 days of the week, but I feel like this schedule provides for much better recovery.

Also, I've been cutting calories down to 1500 a day, with 200g of protein, so that pretty much means I live on chicken and protein shakes, lol. I've lost a good bit of weight as well, starting at 194 this Sun, down to 189 today, and my goal is to hit 160 in the next couple of months.

I think my running times will be much easier if I'm lighter, this seems like common sense to me, but just how true is it? Would I be better served to maintain my energy and focus on running at my current weight, with a spare 30lb of fat or so, and slowly lose it that way?

Or do I have the right idea to keep running, but focus on getting down to a weight where speed gains will be easier?

I'm obviously pretty new to outdoor running, and so far my biggest problem is pace, but this will probably go away with experience (I hope at least ) Does anyone have any useful tips, like breathing techniques, stride advice, or is this one of those things that I'm just gonna have to keep doing until I get better at it?

Losing 30 pounds will definitley help your running speed whether you lose muscle or fat. Your VO2 max is directly related to bodymass. Typically the lighter you are the higher your potential VO2 max will be.

30lbs is alot of weight to lose, I'm not sure how long you can last on a 1500 calorie a day diet, that's pretty low. I've tried that and it's tough.

I have a hard time trying to improve my running on high protein, low carb diets. You may want to increase your carbs some and cut back a little on protein.

I was told by a really good runner to try and take a breath on every other stride. So your left foot hits, you take a breath, then you exhale as your right foot and then your left hit and take another breath on your right foot. Try to shorten your strides and have a quicker turnover.

You are going to have to keep running to get better, but for me it's easy to overtrain if I'm lifting weights alot and running. It also helps to take a few days off every month or so.

Feedback Score
    You might need to cut back on the protein and get some more complex carbs into your diet. I feel dead when I go out for a run if I've been skimping on the carbs.

My caloric intake has been around 1500/day and I've been fine (I've lost 35-40 lbs since new years). You need to experiment with what you're eating to find what works for you. Fwiw, I've been eating a decent amount of oatmeal both for breakfast and post-run, along with chicken and vegetables. I cheat once a week and eat a nice dinner with the family on Sundays, but it's nothing too crazy... I also eat homemade vegetable soup and homemade wheat bread daily.

I also try to do some strength training or biking, so I'm not just running all the time, although my primary focus is burning fat and getting down to a healthy weight, not so much building huge amounts of muscle.

Might want to check your local library or store and pick up some Runner's World magazines or similar types, there's usually good advice. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have tried <20 carbs/day, and my thighs burn just walking up a set of steps.