Thread: AAR VT Tactical Defensive Handgun 1 April10-11

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

AAR VT Tactical Defensive Handgun 1 April10-11

This is my brief AAR from VT Tactical’s Defensive Handgun 1 course
    The class I attended was taught by Gary LeRoux the head firearms trainer and the class had a total of 4 students.

This was a 2 day class, day 1 started with a few hours of class time; this comprised of an overview of the mechanics of the pistol, gear placement, a lot of scenarios, and a good deal of legal aspects to arm the student with knowledge regarding their legal rights and state specific laws. After covering stance, drawing, and reloading the class moved outside. Starting out with a 1 hole drill Gary helped diagnose each shooter (with the exception of a young tack driver), I was peeping over the front site causing me to shoot low, something I often do with dot-the-I sights but have never understood why. Soon after, the class began to really get rolling, each drill building on the prior. Luckily the small class size allowed for things to progress rapidly while each student not only receiving the attention they need, but having the opportunity to stay on a drill whether it be because someone wanted to do better or it was just fun. By day two the class kicked it up a notch and we were introduced to some more challenging exercises including a charging target that challenged the shooter to engage with an accomplice and another where the shooter had to react while being charged and engage in dialogue (surprisingly one of the tougher). The class size was great, there was never any lull nor did it feel like you were “really waiting” when it was single-shooter exercises, Gary was also able to go above and beyond the curriculum of the class to challenge the class during any extra time. While VT Tactical does offer a “Lady’s Defensive Handgun” course, the learning environment was at a level where not once did my girlfriend feel uncomfortable or singled out.
    Gary himself was a great instructor, extremely talented and professional but friendly, he maintained a safe and engaging class while never barking or yelling.
    This class was my intro to VT Tactical and I will be attending their carbine courses in a couple weeks, which is broken into single day classes (which is nice for those wanting varying degrees and being able to pick and choose the level for them). I have to say I looked at it originally as an intro to classes before I road tripped it to another, but I am happy to say that I feel that VT Tactical can offer me way more than I thought I could find in my small state. One thing will be interesting to see if the class slows down at all when booked to capacity, the facility is a little small, but more than big enough for 4 students, I am looking forward to seeing the layout for the Tactical Carbine II.

Quote Originally Posted by VT Tactical Website
    (DH1) Defensive Handgun 1 - $ 330
    2 Day Class
    Topics covered:
    Handgun safety / range safety
    Stance
    Grip
    Draw stroke - dominant side carry
    Situational awareness
    Shooter diagnostics and performance improvement
    Ready gun positions
    Universal cover - scan
    Pivots and turns
    Malfunction clearing immediate action
    Tactical and emergency reloads
    Selection and use of cover
    Multiple threat engagement
    Physiological and psychological effects on the shooter
    One hand firing techniques
    Ground fighting with a handgun
    Unusual firing positions

The following list of items should be brought to class. Please consider the season when making selections of clothing, bug spray, and sun block.

1.Safety glasses
    2.hearing protection
    3.strong side hip holster
    4.brimmed hat
    5.extra magazines or speed loaders
    6.serviceable semi automatic pistol or revolver
    7.ammunition appropriate for the handgun you will be using (factory only)
    8.note pad and pen or pencil
    9.cleaning kit
    Last edited by eternal24k; 04-18-10 at 09:11.