Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 930 SPX Update

Feedback Score

930 SPX Update

How about an update from you SPX owners? Still happy? POS? Best buy you ever made or biggest waste of $600?

I have an 870P that I just absolutely love, however, I'm left eye dominate and shoot shotguns and rifles lefthanded. I have a LH trigger group in my 870, but when my boys or friends shoot it, it always worries me that they are walking around with the safety off or if someone in my house needs it for a bump in the night scenario they click the safety ON instead of OFF at a critical moment.

So longer story short, I'm thinkin' of the 930 as it has a tang mounted safety which is pretty much ambidextrous, I can make it my HD shotgun and put the RH trigger group back in the 870. So let me hear what you guys think of your 930's after a little time on them. Thanks
    Last edited by F_G; 04-06-10 at 13:41.
    "This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?"-Iraqgunz

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - B. Munro

Feedback Score
    Bump!!!

I'm thinking of picking one up as well

Feedback Score
    I have a standard field 930 that I love. My pump gun is an 870, but I am considering swapping it out for a 590. Tang mounted safety is easier to use, and more ambi. My 930 runs like a champ.

Feedback Score
    Ive had a 930 SPX since they were released. So far I have had not one issue with it. It eats everything I put through it including bird shot.

Still seems to be lacking accessories but not really much to do to it anyway IMHO.

I am still looking for a light mount option for mine. Maybe someone will chime in on this thread and give some options.

Anyway, I don't think for the money you would be upset with one.

Love mine.

Shawn

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by altramagnus View Post
    Ive had a 930 SPX since they were released. So far I have had not one issue with it. It eats everything I put through it including bird shot.

Still seems to be lacking accessories but not really much to do to it anyway IMHO.

I am still looking for a light mount option for mine. Maybe someone will chime in on this thread and give some options.

Anyway, I don't think for the money you would be upset with one.

Love mine.

Shawn
    Someone posted about a month ago how they got creative and came up with a solution for mounting a light on theirs. It looks like they did a very nice job with it. Here's the link to the thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61671
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quite happy with mine, has digested everything from birdshot to heavy slug loads without fail except for a few bobbles with Fiocchi that I suspect were due to having a dead dry bolt (my fault).

Is it the best thing out there? Maybe not, but what more can you ask from a shotgun other than it consistently launched masses of lead downrange one time after the other?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by altramagnus View Post
    What are you looking for?
    Sidesaddle and safety-

Bolt knobs-

Another safety-

Followers-

Even the WTFBBQ-

And more-

And one more-

These don't include the Choate bolt handle, the other Choate extensions, the new Mossberg bolt handle, the Choate stock, the shorter/smaller rail from ETA, the Mesa carrier, the 6 round TacStar, the 3 Gun Gear sidesaddle, the receiver sling plates, the railed forend replacements (which hopefully will be out soon), the Brownell's safety, and maybe a few other things I can't remember.

I am still looking for a light mount option for mine. Maybe someone will chime in on this thread and give some options
    Nordic clamp with rail, TLR 1, remote switch tailcap, remote switch.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    I stand corrected on the accessories, damn haha.

I have a NOB and a side saddle on mine. I am however looking for a light mount and that Nordic clamp looks like the ticket.

Thanks for the info.

On the receiver sling plate are you referring to behind the receiver between the stock and receiver. If so where can I get that.

Thanks guys

Still loving my 930 BTW.

ETA - Found this rear receiver sling plate. http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=312

Anyone have any feedback on it.

Shawn
    Last edited by altramagnus; 10-04-10 at 18:04.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't feel bad, a lot of people don't know just how much is out there. Part of the problem is that while there is some stuff made/marketed/labelled as being for the 930, a lot of stuff for other shotguns will work as well. There are parts for the 1187/870 and 590 that will work on the 930. You just have to know what to look for.
    The sling plate is indeed the GG&G model. It just came out within the last month or maybe two. There is another guy who is making a similar unit, but it is a single man operation I think and I don't know if they are still available and if they are of suitable quality.
    If you have a NOB, then you have the best bolt knob I've ever used on the 930. It is my favorite for the way I run the bolt.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have 400+ rounds in mine and have owned it for about a month and a half. Some of the malfs that happened were self induced (guess you could say shotgun version of limpwristing). I fired off the shoulder rotating it from the 3,6, & 9 o'clock position. At every position mentioned the gun would not extract but I am not too dissatisfied with this considering how the gun was being held. With that said the shotgun will cycle one handed (shoulder mounted) and from the hip Hollywood style. Yeh I know hip shooting, but I was trying to make it malfunction. (ETA: all of the failure to extracts were with 3 dram 1 1/8 oz shot 7 1/2 shot 1200 fps shells)
    The others malfunctions that were not self induced have been 3 failure to extracts with some older low power (1180 fps) #8 shot shells and that's it so far.
    If you look you can find accessories. They are just no where near abundant as say an 870 or 500/590. I have a Nordic charging handle and it is very well made but it does need ,IMO, the knurling to be smoothed down around the edges. Its a little too sharp when I rack the handle during malf drills. Also mounted is a Nordic clamp with rail attachment. This clamp I highly recommend. I did do a little alteration to it just to fit my personal tastes. Mounted on the clamp is a surefire x300 with the u mount. I use the universal mount because the light is switched on occasion from the mossberg to my handgun. Well with the u mount there is way too much play on the Nordic rail so I replaced the Nordic rail with a 5 slot magpul moe rail and problem solved.
    I do have an eta safety, a 3 gun gear Velcro side saddle and bolt lock shell caddie on its way and I'll let you guys know what I think of these products if anyone is interested.
    Guys if you are interested in one of these I highly recommend purchasing one that was recently built. Mine was manufactured this June and has had zero issues so far. Yeh I know 400 rounds isn't much but there have been a couple of issues with this shotty for a while but it appears mossberg has fixed the problem as of late. Two complaints so far: I wish it had interchangeable chokes (a trip to aimpro later will remedy this) and for goodness sake somebody make a forearm rail for this thing! M24 any leads on this? I am considering mounting a kac hand stop on the bottom of the forearm but I need to see if this can be mounted securely without interfering with the action.
    Sorry to be so long winded but I can say that in my experience with my own 930 spx I am impressed so far. Now if I put it up against my buddies benelli m2 the difference is night and day. The m2 is lighter, balances better, and the felt recoil is smoother but look at the $ difference between the 2. For what it was made for and what it costs it is well worth the asking price. YMMV of course. That 500-600 or so dollars saved can buy alot of useful accessories and ammo.

-Jax

P.S. If you get one CLEAN IT BEFORE you go bang. Mossberg puts some kind of cosmoline looking rust inhibitor in the action before shipping. On other forums I have read more than once guys complaining about their new 930 not working right out of the box. A little advice on cleaning it and no more Mr Angry thread poster.
    Last edited by jaxman7; 10-06-10 at 10:52.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast