Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry in the woods?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm probably a thousand miles from the nearest brown/grizzly bear. So I'm reading this thread from an academic standpoint.

The heaviest bear handgun I have is a six inch .357. I could load it up with Buffalo Bore hard cast 180s. It would do the job, but seems a bit light.

If I thought I'd run into such a bear, I'd want my home defense shotgun with sabot slugs, and back it up with a .454.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I'm in California and am also in the National Forest daily walking the dogs. I have done this for 30 years, daily. I feel safe in the forest, safer than with humans. We have mountain lions and black bears but we, the dogs and I, were never threatened even when we ran into a mountain lion.

Brown bears are another whole story. These are apex predators just like tigers. And they are aggressive. If I lived where there were brown bears, I would go out in a tank.
    Brown bears aren't actually that aggressive. I've encountered well over 40 brown bears while in the outdoors where I live. I've had them in the back of my truck, in the alley way between the buildings at my store, on my porch, and at my favorite fishing hole. I've had a dog mauled by two y.o. brown bear cubs (dog lived). Every single one of them has run off at the sight or smell of me. Yes, they have been known to kill people in Alaska, but the number is still relatively small considering the amount of bears and people that live in bear habitat.

I carry every day. I carry a Glock 19 because I believe the human threat in my area far exceeds that of the brown bear threat. When I actually head into the woods without a rifle, I carry a Glock 20 (10mm).. because of the familiarity I have with Glocks. I feel pretty safe in the woods, and like thousands of Alaskans do every day, I might head out without a firearm at all.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    This.

Sweet....
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Another "Mountain Gun" fan in calibers beginning with .4X.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Depends on where I'm at. I hunt in 2 completely different places. One has a ton of big hogs and I've shot 5-6 350lb + boars. When in those woods I'm carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk 45LC with a stout Buffalo Bore load. Typically I'm deer hunting or depending upon the season Turkey hunting there and have run into hogs quite often. The other place I hunt has no hogs or other large predators so I'm carrying a G19. Last December I went black bear hunting with a buddy and put down a 412lb bear with my Ruger 45LC. Shot him running away at about 45 yards. Went just behind the left front shoulder and exited out through the front of the opposite shoulder. Bear went down in a heap and didn't budge. Our black bear here in the eastern/coastal part of NC easily get up to 700lbs and bigger. State/World record black bear was shot here and came in at 880lbs.

Feedback Score
    I bought a S&W Performance Center 629 V-comp .44 Mag for such purposes. Since then, I've picked up a Glock 20 10mm and a Springfield TRP Operator in 10mm. So, one of those three. I've got the western hemisphere covered.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very nice! That is what I am looking for in .44 for my bear gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Another "Mountain Gun" fan in calibers beginning with .4X.

ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I'm more concerned about two-legged problems rather than four here in NC, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of encounters with coyotes, bobcats, or black bear. My options include a Gen4 G20 or a S&W 4" 629.
    “An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.” - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'm probably a thousand miles from the nearest brown/grizzly bear. So I'm reading this thread from an academic standpoint.

The heaviest bear handgun I have is a six inch .357. I could load it up with Buffalo Bore hard cast 180s. It would do the job, but seems a bit light.

If I thought I'd run into such a bear, I'd want my home defense shotgun with sabot slugs, and back it up with a .454.
    Same here, but I enjoy reading these threads for some vicarious "mountain man" living. I do hope to go hiking in Glacier and Yellowstone in the future and I'll definitely be packing when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy4Caliber View Post
    I'm more concerned about two-legged problems rather than four here in NC, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of encounters with coyotes, bobcats, or black bear. My options include a Gen4 G20 or a S&W 4" 629.
    Several of you have mentioned coyotes. Are these like coydog mutants? The 'yotes around here would never come close to a human, even on the off chance there was a pack of them, since they're pretty solitary.

Can someone help me out and give me a brief rundown of Pros/Cons for .44 Special vs. heavy .357 for these types of applications?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Same here, but I enjoy reading these threads for some vicarious "mountain man" living. I do hope to go hiking in Glacier and Yellowstone in the future and I'll definitely be packing when I do.

Several of you have mentioned coyotes. Are these like coydog mutants? The 'yotes around here would never come close to a human, even on the off chance there was a pack of them, since they're pretty solitary.

Can someone help me out and give me a brief rundown of Pros/Cons for .44 Special vs. heavy .357 for these types of applications?
    Ammo capacity. I dont see why you would need either of those for coyotes. If thats all you have just pick the lightest one.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast