Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What do you carry in the woods?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Same here, but I enjoy reading these threads for some vicarious "mountain man" living. I do hope to go hiking in Glacier and Yellowstone in the future and I'll definitely be packing when I do.

Several of you have mentioned coyotes. Are these like coydog mutants? The 'yotes around here would never come close to a human, even on the off chance there was a pack of them, since they're pretty solitary.

Can someone help me out and give me a brief rundown of Pros/Cons for .44 Special vs. heavy .357 for these types of applications?
    Most 'yotes I've seen while hunting have been from a distance, but my wife and a friend have had a couple of closer-than-desired-encounters while out on runs. No doubt a case of curiosity rather than aggression in both instances. I include them in my mental list of possible threats only because I know they inhabit the areas I'm hunting in, and I'd hate to encounter a rabid one with limited options. I'm also satisfied that both the 10mm and .44 spl/magnum are more than I would need to dispatch a coyote should the need occur...but I just prefer heavier calibers as opposed to lighter ones for woods carry.
    “An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.” - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    AZ has mostly 2 legged tweeters with the occasional black bear and mountain lion. I just picked up a PD trade in Glock 35 for my woods guns. Lighter than my 1911, P226 and P228’s with just as much ammo. Full power .40 is just fine for my woods.

Feedback Score
    I am in Calif. I am in the USNF daily, in deep forest. There are no brown bears here. I am not afraid at all. The only time I carry a gun is when I go shooting because I shoot in this same forest. I am a more afraid in Walmart than in the forest.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I am in Calif. I am in the USNF daily, in deep forest. There are no brown bears here. I am not afraid at all. The only time I carry a gun is when I go shooting because I shoot in this same forest. I am a more afraid in Walmart than in the forest.
    You don’t carry a gun because you’re in California, homie.

Feedback Score
    Yes he does. The ammo is just carried in a separate, locked zipper pocket in a magazine whose capacity doesn’t exceed 10 cartridges.

Feedback Score
    Same here, but I enjoy reading these threads for some vicarious "mountain man" living. I do hope to go hiking in Glacier and Yellowstone in the future and I'll definitely be packing when I do.

Several of you have mentioned coyotes. Are these like coydog mutants? The 'yotes around here would never come close to a human, even on the off chance there was a pack of them, since they're pretty solitary.

Can someone help me out and give me a brief rundown of Pros/Cons for .44 Special vs. heavy .357 for these types of applications?
    I killed a coyote which was likely rabid a year ago at my parents house. It went down from a single hit from a 9mm FMJ round. Average Coyote is 30-40lbs and even large ones rarely exceed 50 or 60lbs. Coyotes simply aren't that tough of an animal to kill.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The only thing I can offer you in the light/fast vs. slow/heavy debate that hasn’t been beaten to death is to mention that your LGS is stocking 5-6 flavors of .357 and 1-2 flavors of .44 Special. Even if your ammo depot is Walmart or Dicks. And based on a popular YouTube channel, even the cheapest .357 is pretty effective.

Feedback Score
    I usually carry my G34 whenever I go into the woods. Back around 2000/2001 I was in the woods cutting firewood. A stray/wild Lab/Golden/Collie looking mixed mutt just about attacked me. He was big and mean and was bearing down on me. He came within taking another step of me shooting him with my G22. Haven't been in the woods unarmed since.

I'd like to get a G40, always wanted a 10mm. Bunch of other things going on right now though. Maybe after Christmas.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Empty bear spray can found near Wyoming guide killed in bear attack
    https://ktvh.com/news/us-news/2018/0...n-bear-attack/

Definitely not a bad idea to carry a powerful handgun in bear country!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    These days just a regular old j-frame. I blasted a timber rattler just the other day.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast