Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you carry in the woods?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right now, I have to say I'm leaning towards the S&W 629 "Mountain Gun" or a Ruger Redhawk. If my wife wants to get it for my B-day, I'll probably shoot for the stainless 629.

Feedback Score
    Dave

I hauled a 7+ inch 629 with the full lug around for several years here in Colorado, it was a very nice gun, but not really suitable for all day hip carry.

My next .44 will have a 5" or less barrel and more of a LW profile. And I'm giving serious consideration to a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, especially since I've seen them under $500.

S&W has quite a few desirable models, I've always wanted a Mountain Gun and would snatch one up in a minute if I could afford it.

I ran a cylinder of factory 240 grain loads through one of their 4" featherweights and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, the price is more punishing then the recoil.

The big bears make the woods much more interesting don't they?

I have a video of a lion we unexpectedly called in while predator hunting here in Colorado a couple of months ago, I didn't even know we called it in until the following Monday morning when my buddy put it on his wide screen TV. I haven't figured out Youtube yet, so if anyone wants to see it PM your email and I'll email a link to it, it runs on Windows Media Player.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For serious backpacking, weight is critical. I carry a S&W J frame scandium .357 (I think the model is 340). If I were in serious bear country I might purchase one of the S&W scandium frame 4" 44 magnums. However, I do not like to carry around a full size steel revolver, due to its weight, even deer hunting, never mind backpacking. OK, I admit to being a wimp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My biggest wildlife concerns in the backcountry are two-legged, not four. While upsetting a territorial four-legged is always a possibility, I'm more worried about happening upon a tweaker cooking meth.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    My biggest wildlife concerns in the backcountry are two-legged, not four. While upsetting a territorial four-legged is always a possibility, I'm more worried about happening upon a tweaker cooking meth.
    This is my concern as well. I carry the same gun I carry daily (Glock 19 or M&p9c). I might add an extra spare magazine, but that's about it.

Feedback Score
    S&W 44. magnum

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ruger in .45Colt. very versatile.... it can be loaded to be hotter than .44 Mag.

or can be loaded with low power plinking loads or snakeshot.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Have a S&W 629 pre-lock. 6 1/2" though, so thinking of having it rebarreled to 4".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Glock 20 (10mm) would be a good choice

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I spend alot of time in the woods here in East Texas, where hogs and snakes are the biggest concern. I do however do some backpacking up North Utah, Montana, Wyoming, ect..... I generally carry a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I have found the 10 to be very effective on very large hogs. I have never shot a griz with it....knock on wood....and hopefully never will. I have a Glock 20, but I just feel more comfortable with the Colt.
    Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast