Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACOG? Which model? 14.5, 16, or 20'' AR best for it? Long range precision made easy?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    The ACOGs are "practical" for 500 Meters or a little longer and are very easy to use. But they are not "precision" optics - you need more power for that.

I've run a TA01NSN on 20" and 16" inch guns with various ammo from 55 grain to 75 grain with no significant issues on 18" gongs at 500 meters (assuming the gun, ammo, etc., are up to the task). It's just a matter of sighting the rifle for the ammo in use (300 meters works best) and then knowing the hold points for the BDC stadias lines at the various distances.

For example - 75 grain .223 Tap in my 16" gun requires a hold point near the top of the target at 500M. Not precision, but still very practical.
    True, too true. ACOG scopes are the best for the 50-600 meter range. If most of your targets are out past 200 meters it's ideal to move up to a Leupold which is the best at 200-4000 meters (not saying that these optics can't shoot "outside" those distances, but that's just what they're best for).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MILWAR View Post
    True, too true. ACOG scopes are the best for the 50-600 meter range. If most of your targets are out past 200 meters it's ideal to move up to a Leupold which is the best at 200-4000 meters (not saying that these optics can't shoot "outside" those distances, but that's just what they're best for).
    Sorry but your statement is way too general and debatable. Some may feel the ACOG is the best optic form 50 to 500 others may prefer a good variable power 1-4 or 1-6 power scope like a Swarovski or a Shortdot. Also Leaupold makes an entire line of scopes. Some of which are not ideal past 200 yards or even usuable.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That's a bit much for my Loopy much less my RCO-A4.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith E.; 04-19-10 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I have a friend that bought a TA11. What is the optimum barrel for these? The reticle says it’s for a M249. He was too much of a stubborn ass to listen to me and get a M4-RCO.

ETA: his name is jpmuscle. He said the TA31s had eye relief for “cUcKs.”
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 07-12-22 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lotta good info already but I will say an ACOG is pretty easy to use and fairly simply once you understand it. It won't make a good shooter but it will go along way getting you to make hits at distance with practice and understanding your reticle.

All barrels will shoot a bit different and different lengths change that more AND all ammo shoots a bit different. So you have to learn your reticle, your ammo and your gun. You got a little work to do but you are asking questions which is a good start.

The interesting thing is DOPE is pretty similar for many rounds, guns and optics inside 500. It gets way different past those parameters.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-12-22 at 18:24.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    You have a lot to learn about distance shooting.
    A minor breeze can make for major shift at distance.
    There is no such thing as "easy long range precision".
    This. And even with an ACOG, I can spend many rounds missing a small target by just a little bit due to wind and not know it without a spotter if the target doesn't have a nice mound behind it to call shots.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12