Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build, Thoughts, Comments, Opinions?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Badass setup, however, I would just get a full gun from Colt, 6920 / 6940 maybe a Daniel Defense then dress it up. Or just buy a Noveske straight up. How bout a Noveske Upper Middy with rail, and a BCM or LMT lower.

You gunna have a nice weapon either way. Send Pics.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-12-10 at 05:55.

Feedback Score
    Papabear: The thought had crossed my mind. I wanted to just buy the new larue obr 5.56. But there is no real word on when there going to be out. I emailed them just to ask and whoever replied said he did not know.

So, I thought myself why don't I just build my own. It would be completely custom! Idk just sounds fun to me. Also, the second I saw that Mega upper I knew I had to have one. I just love how it is one piece!

To all: Ok the gas piston rig sounds like a future project, if at all. Sounds like there are kinks still to be worked out with the kits. I'll stick to the tried and true.

So is this rifle complete? Am I missing something? It would be a great help to me to suggest stocks and their kits. Was the one I linked from larue ok? Any info would be great.

Spammsammich: Could you expand on the problems with the gas piston kits? I want to learn!

Feedback Score
    Personally I would go with the mount that places the T-1 on top of the ACOG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everybody mentions how hot the AR DI bolt gets, 87GN made strides toward disproving this issue, his results have been posted in a technical thread. Nobody really talks about how flippin hot the piston/op rod gets during operation. There have been reports of gas blocks on piston systems breaking or coming loose during classes, EAG tactical posted an AAR with photo evidence of this.

With a piston system, you're adding heavy components, more complexity and reciprocating mass above the center line of the bore, this is thought to influence accuracy and speed of follow up shots. most piston systems make the BCG tilt because the bearing surfaces weren't design take the load from an op-rod slamming into the carrier key and slam into the leading edge of the receiver extension. A DI BCG moves straight back along the bore axis.

Also, consider the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harold is putting out their own piston kit or conversion or rifle with little to no commonality between the different brands. What's going to happen when the smaller boutique companies go TU and you can't get replacement parts for your rig? I'm sure there is plenty I'm missing or wrong about, but you asked for opinions and I opined. YMMV. Also, there is a metric shit ton of info on piston systems including some like ADC's that seem to work pretty well, and there are parts that address carrier tilt like Seth Hartness's custom buffer. Be at one with the search button

I would much rather have something like a XCR, ACR, AK, or SCAR that is designed with the piston system in mind and can take advantage of the benefits of such a system like the ability to have a folding stock to improve handling in vehicles.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 04-12-10 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    Everybody mentions how hot the AR DI bolt gets, 87GN made strides toward disproving this issue, his results have been posted in a technical thread. Nobody really talks about how flippin hot the piston/op rod gets during operation. There have been reports of gas blocks on piston systems breaking or coming loose during classes, EAG tactical posted an AAR with photo evidence of this.
    DI bolts dont get that hot, tests here show the bolt was 94 degF after 30 rounds, when the barrel was near 150-200 degF
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51218

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    My amateur two cents worth (little or no value really):

Buy a Noveske 2nds stripper lower, a G&R LPK, a Magpul UBR, and colt H buffer and spring. OR buy a BCM or DD complete lower.

Buy a Noveske complete low profile upper (includes BCG and BUIS)

Pick either the TA33 or T1 (consider the H1 one as well, to save a few bucks).

And forget the piston deal, stick with a mid length DI system

PS: you can buy a Noveske complete rifle for close to the same price as parting it out, and then add the UBR if you desire.

For anyone to give better advice, you should state your intended use and budget.

Hard to go wrong with Noveske though:

Feedback Score
    djegators: Intended use is shtf gun. I want quality parts but at the same time have my own "style" if you will mixed with functionality. I was thinking of sticking with the mega lower just because it is suppose to match with their mono upper very well. I know very well I could have a already built quality rifle for much less. I just feel like doing a build. On top of that, I can buy parts over time making it less painful on the wallet.

Why would you do a G&R lpk over DD?
    Last edited by payj; 04-12-10 at 17:59.

Feedback Score
    Spam: Thanks for the info on that I appreciate it....

Feedback Score
    as for the ACOG, look into the ta31trd or the ta31doc a seriously sweet f@$*ing optic......

Feedback Score
    Updated list. What do you all think?

Just got the upper! Man that hurt the wallet! Oh well its going toward a good cause

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast