Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 scope ?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Looks like a decent budget scope.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mine, I've only used it a bit but have really taken a liking to it. The rings it came with were solid and well-made but I've only used it in a LaRue SPR mount.

So I've had fewer than 1000 rounds on it. BUT..... I loaned it to a chum who used it in last year's National Patrol Rifle Comference and Competition (centermassinc.com), and he placed 2nd with it. He put nearly 3000 rounds through his Larue Stealth upper with my scope on top, between training and the match (he took first this year using a 1-4 Elcan). I played hell getting it back from him, finally got it back after he got his own .

Then it went to the war zone for about a year. The Marine who had it is a bona-fide gun guy, and it went all over the place with him. He was in harm's way often enough, but his rank kept him and my Millett from seeing daily gunfights...... not that there were none at all though.

I'm glad to have it back (especially since it means "F" came back in good shape). Just had a chance to spend some time with a US Optics SN-4. It has a lot going for it, great glass especially I suppose, but the awful truth is that for my purposes I'd take the Millett DMS over the US Optics piece (or, for the price of the USO, five DMS's). The US Optics is first focal plane, which maybe I'm just optically uneducated, but that whole thing seems so unuseful to me-- the reticle on 1X is small and hard to pick up, and at 4X where you'd like some precision, it's big. The reticle on this USO SN-4 is illuminated but not enough to be called, or used as, a red-dot.

The Elcan BTW has some good points-- my pals and I have been wishing for something that is really 1-4 with no in-betweens, I mean, who really needs or uses 2, 3, 3.5, or anything else in between 1 and 4X? The Elcan goes from 1 to 4 and back with the flip of a lever. Very quick and no unnecessary in-between magnifications.
    Last edited by Ned Christiansen; 07-17-10 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Necromancy: how are these scopes holding up?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    MassMark,

This still holding up well? My shop is holding one for me now...
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MassMark View Post
    I picked a Millet DMS/Burris PEPR combo at SWFA for $265.00. After trying to save for a higher end optic combo for a year, I finally came to the realization that my status in the financial world and focusing priorities on things like food, just would not allow it. I set my expectations low and have to say that I'm very pleased with this set-up.
    I'll do a more extensive review later, but for now, here's my initial impressions:

The scope and mount are robust. I haven't done an official weight, but if everything fails, you can beat someone to death with this unit. I unpacked the scope and mount at work and had to wait until I got home to mount it. I laser bore-sighted it with a flashlight and a tree-trunk at 1am and took it to the range in the pouring rain the next day.

I must have been blessed by the laser-gods, as the scope was 1 click off up and right at 50-yards. From the bench, my groups were tight like prom night and off the bench not much changed. There is some fisheye at 100-yards and on 1x, but less so when you dial up to 1.5 and up. I left it set at 1.5 for most of a class 3-days later, (also in the pouring rain). My failure to properly LocTite the PEPR was my only hang-up that day. After a self-inflicted dope slap, I tightened up the mount properly and pressed on. I was not disappointed.

The donut-dot reticle is easy to pick up and bright - except in bright light. However, the reticle itself is easy to pic up with no illumination - the 1 MOA center dot is great for more precise shooting and the donut covers well for center-mass at longer ranges. I have not wrung this scope out past 200-yards, but between 5-feet and 200-yards, the scope performs well.

The Burris PEPR mount seems to be pretty well thought out. It's also large and heavy like the scope and I'm not sure I'll ever use the rails on the rings, (you never know I guess), but it locks up solidly, (if you do your part) and holds zero.

Laying in some tall grass on the range, shooting at 50-yards in the rain with my pack as a rest, I was pretty pleased with accuracy. I took 5-shots at a quarter, hit it once, dinged it twice and had two-flyers about 3/4 inch north and south. I'm not a bench shooter, so I don't plan on winning any matches with this scope. What I do plan on is beating the snot out of it and will report how this scope hold up. If folks are looking for a magnified, illuminated optic and are on a budget, this may indeed be an option.

So what is your assessment of this scope two years later? Did it hold up well?

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    Managed to pick one up last weekend. Traded a Nikon Monarch 3x9 I bought at a gunshow for $10, so I feel I came out great. Haven't had it to the range yet. I know this thread is old, but just wondering how everyone's has been holding up. Any updates are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by ToeTagger6552; 09-17-15 at 12:39.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718