Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Millet DMS-1 1-4x24 scope ?

Feedback Score
    I got a shipping confirmation for mine this morning.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    I have one coming from midway and should be here Sat or Mon. I would like to get a Larue SPR mount but not sure which one to get either the SPR or the EER. Any ideas which one will work?
    FDCC
    Florida Defensive Carbine Club

Feedback Score
    Suggestions are that if you shoot with your nose to the charging handle, then the SPR-E is what you use. If not, then the SPR is fine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well it would be SPR-E for me then...as I shoot NTCH. I might try one after I get the GRSC optic in.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    I was searching the web for some more detailed info on this scope and came across this site that has a very good review and nice pics of the GEN I version.

Gen 1 Millett DMS-1 Review

More Pictures
    FDCC

Feedback Score
    I shot mine today for the first time but not to the degree of the man in the previously listed review. I only zeroed it. But the glass is very clear in sunlight. My unit used Nightforces and every sniper that looked through it was impressed with the clarity. I ll check more as to the lower light situations with more time. Mine is the Gen II (unlike the one in the review). the Gen II has some improvements. The rheostat is on the left side, 90 degrees from the elevation turret. The windage turret cover is thicker due to the spare battery compartment inside (see belows problem). The Gen II is also supposed to be more weather or waterproofed but the specs are not released. Millett is supposed publish the operator's manual on their website soon. I do not know the spec's on the "donut" but on 4x the inner area of the donut (the band is rather thick) that looked to be 10 moa based on what saw on the grid target. It is the closest to "true" one power on any other variable I have seen.

When the turret covers are unscrewed, there is no slot for adjustments. The turret itself slightly protrudes and is serrated around it's circumference (like a dime) making it easy to make adjustments. It is 1/4 moa clicks.

I have read some complain about the reticle not having "off" mode between each setting. Frankly I prefer that. I have seen those get knocked a click either way when grinding against gear. that would turn it off instead of just lower or higher one setting.

True, the illumination of the reticle on its brightest setting was not visible in the bright sun but the reticle is solid and "deep" black and easily seen on dark targets so who cares. Our Nighforces can't be seen on high during sunlight either and they cost 1500.

I will play with it in the dark on our indoor range as well as in the shoot house when I have time. I mainly wanted it for 3 gun matches but it could make a nice patrol rifle scope, where even when used inside, those searches are not as dynamic as and HRT where at this point I would still prefer my Aimpoint. and I doubt that this scope would be user friendly in a APR (gas mask) or SCBA.

My only complaint thus far ( and reported to Millett already) is that when I put the windage turret cap back on and snugged it down, the rubber spare battery holder engaged on the dial and i could hear it make a few clicks, which changed my zero. So this cap needs to be a little bit taller to clear the interior.

In comparing it to the photos of the GRSC scope coming out, these two "look" the same from the outside.

Then there are those that have a lot to say about the scope being made in China. Well everything has parts from China in it (well almost). But to me there is a difference between a Chinese knockoff through a stolen design and a product made in China designed by and for an American company under their name.

There is a line to be drawn on scopes. Zeiss is now using the Pride Fowler reticle. I used a PF scope on my 308 and loved it. It was plenty enough scope and I see no reason to pay 3-4 times the amount for a Zeiss. But what you spend is relative to what you make. If you have thousands to spend on glass and you want to, then who am I to say anything about.

There were some pro shooters at Mystery Mountain 3 Gun match using 60 dollar Simmons diamond scopes on their three thousand dollar rifles too that praised the scope (BrianEnos.com has reviews) when I talked to them there a couple years ago.

the turret cover thing is a minor issue that will be taken care of. So far, my 190 dollars was well spent. That may change with time....but I doubt it.

Feedback Score
    Here are some pics I took today. My pics of the reticle do not do it justice, but the Glass is really clear.

The windage adjustment cap has a place for a spare battery.

FDCC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The DMS-1 doesn't look bad at all. Thanks for the pics!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Man, for the money that thing looks like a super deal. If it will handle any type of abuse at all, I'd guess this thing will put a BIG dent in the market for "non-professional" end users. It certainly looks like it's built pretty solid.

As a "non-professional", I hope it turns out to be as good a deal as it appears to be at first glance!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast