Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $1k for a handgun, what would you go with?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    $1000 for a light compatible HD handgun?

M&P-9
    +
    Apex upgrades
    Crimson Trace grip
    Surefire X300

Still have enough for a quality holster...Or maybe a DG switch for the X300...Night sights...
    Last edited by Jerm; 04-15-10 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    Given your situation, consider both the HK45 and the HK45c. The 45c is simply awesome!! I own both along with many (did I say many) other HK pistols. You can't go wrong, but know before hand, the HK45 mags are EXPENSIVE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    $1000 for a light compatible HD handgun?

M&P-9
    +
    Apex upgrades
    Crimson Trace grip
    Surefire X300

Still have enough for a quality holster...Or maybe a DG switch for the X300...Night sights...

Hey that sounds like what I'm doing

Feedback Score
    After many, many guns, and many, many dollars expended, I've reluctantly come to some conclusions-notably, I've found that I'm far better off choosing a platform (or a finite small number of platforms) and spending the majority of my time, money and training efforts with them.

Yes, we all probably are hoping to miraculously come across that perfect, holy grail of a handgun. Yes, there are differences between platforms that make some more desirable in a quantifiable way than others. The problem is, when hopping from platform to platform, not only are you amassing the need for new holsters, magazines, magazine pouches, etc., you're also throwing away (or significantly diverting/dispersing) the built-up muscle memory that you've acquired on your original platform-so your're potentially degrading your performance with both the original and the new platform simultaneously.

Yeah, this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. But it's one of the things that I think distinguishes this forum from a lot of the "fanboy" type forums. And I'm not necessarily saying not to get a new gun-but in your situation, a more logical one would conceivably be something along the lines of a Glock G35, where you would be using the same platform, the same magazines/magazine pouches, the same grip, and the same muscle memories.

And trust me, I've also been tempted by the siren song of the HK45. I think that it's an excellent gun. But at the end of the day, I've subjected myself to the same analysis that I've been yapping to you about-and unless the HK45 was to become my primary platform (which it wouldn't be), I simply can't responsibly justify it to myself, other than to have something new.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    See if you can find a range that will let you rent both then see what works well for you. Secondly, unless you want to pay for custom holsters (particularly with a light attached), look at availability of holsters/accessories before you buy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by madisonsfinest View Post
    Like the title says I have $1000 for a handgun. I already have a Gen 4 Glock 22, a glock 27. I'm really liking the feel of the Hk's and was considering an HK45. Any recomendations?

I guess this may help, the 22 is my duty, and the 27 is my off duty. So this purchase will not be an everyday carry type of gun.
    If you are issued a Glock at work and carry one off-duty, it's kind of a compelling argument to make the nightstand gun a Glock too...only perhaps one in 9mm that's cheaper to feed than the .40. If I were issued a Glock that's what I'd stick with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    If you are issued a Glock at work and carry one off-duty, it's kind of a compelling argument to make the nightstand gun a Glock too...only perhaps one in 9mm that's cheaper to feed than the .40. If I were issued a Glock that's what I'd stick with.
    Or a G23, so he could also use his G22 magazines (and the G27 could use both the G22 and the G23 magazines).

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    Get a Glock 17, or another Gen4 Glock 22.

Use the rest of the money for ammunition.

Or very small upgrades, extended slide stop lever, Vickers magazine catch, etc.

Crimson Trace LG-417 is also a great upgrade to consider.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Lots of wisdom here. Hard to go wrong with a 9mm Glock.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I haven't had my G17 for years. Hmmm maybe a 19 is in order.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast