Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things you've tried.

Feedback Score
    hi all glad to be here! I think going to a shooting school and practice are the go. Lately, I've been having consistancy problems with pistol shooting and have increased the amount of practice I was doing. Some days I would shoot the way I want and expect to and others I was all over the place.

About 3 weeks ago, I was shooting with a buddy and his dad (a former IND State Police pistol team member for 20+ years) and his dad saw problems with my grip and stance. The next mag, all were in the black. Now I am having to relearn the correct way to make it memory.

Somewhere, I picked up a bad habit and had to overcome it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I guess I have been lucky with the few mods that I've tried on Glocks. So far, every one of them has worked for me and they are still installed. Mind you, I only used Glock factory parts and had them installed by a competent Glock gunsmith (M4arc). In making the decision to do these modifications I was smart enough to only listened to guys who have vast experience with Glocks (David Pennington, M4arc, Hotrod9mm, plus a few others). After owning a G34 for awhile I grew to like it's extended slide stop/release and the extended mag catch. While training with Larry, Dave, and Simon I learned to use the slide stop/release to drop the slide during reloads and this was a big factor also. So I basically turned my G19 into a G34 replica and I have been very pleased. I have never accidentally dropped a mag or slide with it installed. I never even notice them when actually shooting the pistol. While mods do not make a shooter, they do help me make faster & more consistent reloads. I also installed the non-skid tape on the frame. It works like a champ. I find the stock Glock frame can get slippery when my hands get sweaty.

My G19 modifications:

(1.) Glock factory extended slide stop/release
    (2.) Glock factory extended mag catch
    (3.) Non-skid grip tape – I cannot remember what brand, but it came as a kit
    (4.) Warren Tactical “Carry” night sights.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    You need to find what works for you, which isnt always what you "want". I "want" to carry a .45, but I've damaged my wrist enough over the years that after 2-300rds, I cant hold the pistol the next day. 9mm recoil doesnt bother me, so I can practice more - and besides pistols just poke holes, rifles tear $hit up.

People think too much about what pistol they want, and what they want to do with it, when they should be out practicing with what they have. Front sight, squeeze. I dont mean to sound cockey, but I can out shoot most folks with their own guns. I'm nothing special, but I shoot more practice rounds than all my friends combined. It does help to buy in bulk, wholesale

Feedback Score
    I've tried lots of ammo and lots of time spent on the range. Also lots of time bringing the gun up at small targets in the house like a door knob ( unloaded of course). That helped me practice on finding and focusing on the fornt site. Dry fire drills to practice trigger press, often times in conjunction with the above frontsight drill. I can't complain with the results. I'm by no means a champion shooter but, I do pretty well with my duty gun.

Feedback Score
    The things that have worked for me:

1. Using one brand and model of pistol, carbine and shotgun

2. Quality instruction

3. Training

4. Dry firing.

Things that have not worked for me

1. Modifications

2. Fad products

3. Cheap accessories
    The Second Amendment is Homeland Security

Remember New Orleans

Feedback Score
    The best two things that have worked for me are:

Practice.

Reloading my own ammo.

Feedback Score
    Shooting IPSC and IDPA matches did more than anything else. I watched the topdogs work their pistols.
    One of the reasons I became a RO was to watch what worked and didnt. Follow Todd Jarrett and the like around a few stages and you would have to be blind to not pick up something.

Have one platform and stick to it. A P220 was both my carry gun and gaming gun, not perfect for either job but it worked well for both.
    I cant be the best I can be by switching pistols types, muscle memory has alot to do with a fast and accurate shot. If I take a 1911 and the P220 with me to the range for pratice Im not doing myself any favor by splitting my time between two different platforms.

Feedback Score
    just sold a USP expert because I wanted to stick with sigs because I think they are more comfortable, buying a different gun thanwhat I am used to was teh biggest(ok mabye not the biggest but definatly not smart) mistake I made soon to have a new sig on order and I think I will be alot happier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by u-baddog
    muscle memory has alot to do with a fast and accurate shot.
    Muscles dont have memory, You're experiencing training through repetition. Also, be careful considering game playing as defensive training. Its not even the other side of the same coin. In a stressful situation you'll default to your level of training. Its not hard to find a story of someone who defaulted to "game" instead of "fight", and lost the "fight".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have had great success with:

Rear sights with wide notches. Heinies come with .125," mine are .140," which leaves enough light on the sides of my front sight.

A dot in the front, which helps me focus on the front sight.

Gripping front to back. I barely touch the sides of my pistol. I use smooth thin grips when possible.

Front sight focus. It does wonders.

I shoot best from Modified Weaver. YMMV.

Dry fire and training, of course. Once I got over any inclination to flinch, I shot very well. Now I consciously focus on aiming, and some part of my subconcious seems to pull the trigger. It's kind of trippy...

Things that didn't work:

Double action triggers suck. I can manage them, but prefer not to.

Isoceles does not work for me.

Guns with poor ergonomics, like berettas, suck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast