Thread: Zero with suppressor mounted?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Zero with suppressor mounted?

Quick question here. Should I zero my BCM 11.5" and 14.5" middy uppers with or without my sound suppressor? I could swear I read a long while ago that you're supposed to zero your guns WITH the can mounted, but wanted to make sure before I did it, so that I get the best results possible.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If the can is gonna be on all the time, zero with the can on. I zero without a suppressor on. Then attach the can and see the difference in dope. Some cans allow you to adjust the position to allow less poi shift (ie AAC MITER system) if there is no preset adjustment like the SPR/M4 can, use a high temp paint pen to mark the position where its on the gun that allows you to return to the same position every time. I really like Surefire's design because it allows minimal poi shift since the collar rotates and not the entire can.
    Last edited by Ak44; 04-18-10 at 04:34.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    If the can is gonna be on all the time, zero with the can on. I zero without a suppressor on. Then attach the can and see the difference in dope. Some cans allow you to adjust the position to allow less poi shift (ie AAC MITER system) if there is no preset adjustment like the SPR/M4 can, use a high temp paint pen to mark the position where its on the gun that allows you to return to the same position every time. I really like Surefire's design because it allows minimal poi shift since the collar rotates and not the entire can.
    Thanks for the info. I have the Surefire FA556-212 suppressor. I will run suppressed for the majority of the time with my BCM 11.5" upper, at least as of now that's what I'm anticipating, but it depends on a few variables that I haven't figured out yet with this particular upper.

But I guess I'll BZO the 14.5" mid-length upper without the can mounted, because I'll primarily be running that bitch loud... and I do mean LOUD with that Surefire MB556K brake on there! I love shooting that upper suppressed, but the weight is just too heavy to really run the gun the way I need to be able to do for extended periods.

If I make it to the range later this afternoon, I'll try and get my BZOs done on these 2 uppers. Hopefully the range nazis...err, I'm mean Range Safety Officers, allow me to shoot suppressed (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and it also depends on how busy the place is too). I'm really hoping I can put Surefire's "zero POI shift" claims to the test and find out if it holds true. Of course I'll just be using cheap ass PMC 55gr and Hornady 55gr Training ammo, so I don't know if that's even adequate for my testing or not. Guess I'll find out. I just cannot stand spending the crazy money on Black Hills ammo and others like it.

Thanks for your feedback and Semper Fi,

-Paul

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It feels good helping a celebrity haha. Semper Fi
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    It feels good helping a celebrity haha. Semper Fi
    Sometimes it just ain't easy being a rockstar, man. I do my best though.

lololololol.... Thanks again, man.

S/F

-Paul

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    what range do you go to that permits shooting with cans? the range i usually go to (ASC) frown upon suppressors but not SBRs. That's one of the issues keeping me from getting a can for my rifle, finding a place suitable to shoot with it

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaf View Post
    what range do you go to that permits shooting with cans? the range i usually go to (ASC) frown upon suppressors but not SBRs. That's one of the issues keeping me from getting a can for my rifle, finding a place suitable to shoot with it
    The one I'm referring to go zero my uppers at is ASC. Yeah they don't have any problems with my SBRs, but if I ask one of the RSOs that I've known for a while they'll let me fire a very limited amount suppressed... like less than one magazine.

But for doing actual training, that's more dynamic, doesn't limit you to any bench, and allows you to bring and shoot whatever weapon (including full auto) and suppressor you want, I drive out to the Impact Zone out near Hemptstead, which is a dozen or so miles West of Katy on I-10 West. You drive another good 20 minutes after you exit.

Here's their website, you should definitely check it out: http://www.theimpactzonerange.com/

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    On my 10.5" gun I zeroed at 50yds with the can on, but took the can off and shot a 20 shot string to verify that I would at least be in the A-zone with the can off too.

Considering the dot on my Aimpoint is 2MOA, and I don't shoot like Molon who does the accuracy shooting with Aimpoints, the results were similar.

That being said, if I need to use the 10.5" carbine, the suppressor is on the gun.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I zero with the can on. With a 50yd zero the shift with my 10.5" gun is 1/2 to 3/4".
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)