Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accelerated Paramedic programs?

Feedback Score
    If you really wanna do it, then go for it. Give it 100%, and strive for perfection. I did an accelerated paramedic course, but I was already an EMT. It was a bitch to say the least, but I made it through. I now have instructor certs 3 years later, so I can say that you can do it, and earn the respect of your colleagues. What you put in as far as studying and preparing for class, is what you will get out. IF you can buckle down, then go for it. If you cant eat, breathe, and sleep it, then forget it. Just my $.02
    If these same judicial despots misconstrued the Second Amendment as broadly as they do the first, Americans would have nukes to defend themselves from noisy neighbors. - Mark Alexander

I will stop buying guns when my wife stops buying shoes.

"You cant invade America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto

A Recession is when your neighbour loses his job,
    A Depression is when you lose your job, and
    A Recovery is when Obama loses his.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I was under the impression that you had to be an EMT-B before you could become a Paramedic, irrespective of an accelerated program. What concerns me are those that get their EMT-B and immediately sign up for EMT-P accelerated programs without spending time on the street.

The accelerated programs are for those with significant medical experience and are not appropriate for the lay person who decides he wants to become Johnny Gage.

If you have that experience I have no problems with it but it ain't no shortcut. Otherwise there is no functional difference between paramedics who went through traditional programs and those that did an accelerated format. I've seen really shitty medics who went the traditional route. I've also seen really shitty medics with lots of "experience" (including one former 18D that sticks out in my head) who went the accelerated route. The accelerated programs are extremely stressful and time-consuming. You won't have much of a life for 6-8 months. Intellectually there isn't any more "challenge" to one or the other.

It's not the didactic part that makes you a medic, it's the clinical training and time on the street.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 06-06-10 at 11:42.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12