Thread: tokarev svt-40

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

tokarev svt-40

ive been thinking of picking one up, ive always liked this robust looking rifle.
    does anyone have one? Tell me about its reliability and if its worth the price point of 1000.00?

thanks all
    Last edited by sadmin; 03-27-10 at 15:48. Reason: wasnt spreaking engrish
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score

Past experience

I used to have a mismatched SVT-40 with pitted barrel: I could throw 100yrd clover-leafs all day long with good Russian and E.German ammo. With chinese ammo, I'd have to adjust the gas setting and then could still put a mag (10rds) into a sub 1" group. This was a previous SVT "sniper" rig, meaning it had the rail slots and notch cut for the scope mount. Loved it, wish I still had it, but now have a SVD TIGR to fill that void. Worth $1k? If it's minty, matching and has a few accessories such as gas tool, mags, sling. Bayonets add another 4-700 value (!?).
    You won't be disappointed with a good SVT. They are great shooters, interesting history, and still quite scarce.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

SVT

In the last 15 years I have owned 12, sold them all. Neat historical gun, better than the German WW2 semi's but well behind the M1 Garand. They run fine if op rod / gad piston/ gas cup is not pitted or abused. Make sure the mag is in good shape, check the mag release for function as it is light weight. The mags are funky and expensive if the need to be replaced.

Look at the selector and check to make sure it is not broken, and confirm the lever/paddle is solid and not center drilled with a round hole. The round hole means the trigger pack is from an AVT 40, full auto.

As with all surplus guns, start with exterior condition, originality of this condition, matching parts, interior condition, barrel condition, and crown condition. $1,000 seems a bit high.

By the way ROBUST is not an accurate description for the SVT 40 in a military role.
    Will it hold up to the range yes, Robust in service, no.

Reagrds
    Matt

March to the sound of guns and kill everyone not dressed like you
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    I used to have a mismatched SVT-40 with pitted barrel: I could throw 100yrd clover-leafs all day long with good Russian and E.German ammo. With chinese ammo, I'd have to adjust the gas setting and then could still put a mag (10rds) into a sub 1" group. This was a previous SVT "sniper" rig, meaning it had the rail slots and notch cut for the scope mount. Loved it, wish I still had it, but now have a SVD TIGR to fill that void. Worth $1k? If it's minty, matching and has a few accessories such as gas tool, mags, sling. Bayonets add another 4-700 value (!?).
    You won't be disappointed with a good SVT. They are great shooters, interesting history, and still quite scarce.
    You're saying an SVT40 could shoot a sub 1" 10 round group?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The SVT-40 was a bump in the otherwise smooth road of robust, reliable long arms that the Russian/Soviet military has adopted.

I had one before the fall of the Wall. It was a vet bringback from Europe, captured and used by the Germans.

As MTR7 stated, it is not robust, not SKS or AK level robust anyway.

Mine was a finicky eater, and I swear I've never had a weapon that was more difficult to strip and reassemble.

Still, it is a piece of history, but I'd take a M1 Garand over the Tokarev in a heart beat.

There's a reason they didn't make many of them and why they got dumped so quickly after the war was over.

The Krauts liked them because they were light and in well trained hands, effective. Plus, they grabbed just about anything they could get their hands on (with the glaring exception of French small arms).

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Thanks for all the information guys! Finicky feeder, expensive parts, difficult to strip...maybe I will hold out for a CZ-M52/57.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    I was given one by a friend and never shot it because the stock was cracked at the rear of the receiver. I finally got some time to glass it up and get the action bedded right and shoot it. I really like it! It doesn't kick bad, it ate all kinds of ammo, but it grouped like an FAL (I can live with that).

Over all its a fun gun to shoot, decently accurate, but most of the cheap ammo is corrosive so no being lazy on the cleaning (otherwise it would go to the range more often with me!)

Your results may vary.

Brick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine had one for awhile, and I got to shoot it quite a bit. Templar's comments pretty much mirror my experience with it. My buddy sold his last year for ~$750, IIRC, so $1000 does sound a bit high.

SVT with some friends, Memorial Day 2008