Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beretta 21A - 22 LR

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Did you notice any oval holes in paper targets? I think slow twist and low velocity explain why mine does this frequently w standard velocity ammo. Carry stingers in it, as pocket gun.
    No evidence of tumbling. Other users report acceptable accuracy, I honestly think a lot of my issues with the 21a lie in the size of the pistol - it's a struggle to curl my finger far enough to press the trigger while trying to keep the web of my hand below the slide But, its decently reliable and quite fun to shoot.

I read a lot of recommendations for Stingers or Velocitors in the 21a. I consider mine an interesting plinker, so even reliable standard velocity rounds are fine for me.

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Just an update. I picked up a very lightly used parts kit 21a and replaced the slide and barrel, along with some other parts, on mine. Probably not the smartest investment I have made considering the rebate Beretta is currently offering, but I digress.

Groups are much better, 2-2.5" at 10 yards compared to 6-8". It also shoots to point of aim at that range with Armscor HV HP ammo. It is reliable with the Armscor, as well as Mini Mag and Blazer HV rounds.

It's not a target pistol and I would not consider it a serious defensive pistol, but at least it shoots well enough for casual plinking now.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-10-23 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    My new Beretta M21a "Ghost Buster" is the only .22lr I own. It's not broken in yet. (Needs about 250 rds) but it rarely got through a magazine without a stoppage on the one range trip it's had.

My broken-in M21 .25's and 950 .25 run great.

My .22 also shoots left. I used CCI mini mag, Aguila high velocity 40 gr and hotter ones that are like CCI velocitor, which I also tried. It had jams with all of them.

But like I said, not broken in yet.

Those hot Aguila and Velocitor 40 gr loads were impressive though, averaging about 950-975 fps with some over 1000 fps.

A warm .25 fmj 50 gr can run about 875 fps safely. I did load some that hit 1000 fps but that was a mistake and I'm lucky I didn't hurt the gun or myself.

I've had Hornady XTP 35 gr factory loads show over 1k fps, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took my Bobcat Covert to the range yesterday… zeroed the CT grips. Gun shot good, but didn’t realize how much gas came back with it.

I picked up 4 Beretta magazines. Loaded them up, but one wouldn’t insert into the frame. The screw that keeps the follower in is too long. Head touched one edge of the magazine well, bottom of screw touches the other edge.

Confirmed it was a .22 magazine. All 4 came in Beretta packaging.

Shot Beretta an email, saying I would like a new magazine for replacement. We will see.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My 21 with laser grips and threaded barrel is only happy suppressed.
    Nothing else.

It will function without a can but it's dicey unless heavily oiled.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have not tried Stingers, but so far my 21a is pretty reliable with MiniMags, Blazers, and Armscor HV. Velocitors were a hard fail. I loaded a mag with CCI Quiet (not paying attention) once, that was fun

I run a brush through the barrel after 100 rounds or so.

Various cheap bulk HV and all SV ammo has failed to run reliably. Blazer is not really pricy or hard to find, at least here. I am pleased with the Armscor, it was a little cheaper and seemed to shoot a bit more accurately than the CCI.

Accuracy is relative in a tiny pistol with tiny sights, of course. It is a fun little pistol to shoot and I am content using it as a plinker. I have more accurate 22 pistols and a .380 LCP if I need a small defensive gun.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-13-23 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    I've had about 5 types of ammo not run well, including Velocitors and the Aguila equivalent.

The one that hasn't had a stoppage is Aguila 40 gr copper coated round nose HV.

I've had a couple duds, too, but not with the Aguila.

It just reminds me why I sold all my .22's. Then i got this one and it's back to clearing malfs and duds.

.22 rimfire is trash.

When my Beretta .25 acp barrel returns to me threaded I'm going to get a can for it. Then I'll sell this .22 and be happy not having to fiddle with .22.

The tip-up barrel is nice for single loading Longs and Shorts, though. And I did. Drop in, fire it DA, flip up barrel & case flies out (until dirty?) drop in another, repeat.

I might keep it just for that.

I need more Shorts! If they don't key-hole or anything might be good through a can!

If I ever consider needing a .22 rimfire to hunt with I'll get a single shot. Then I can shoot Longs and Shorts, too.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-21-23 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    Bobcats are funny. My Inox one is pretty reliable. My blued one chokes on a regular basis. I found a recipe that pretty much work. Feed it only Minimags, bore snake it every 50 rounds, pinch the magazine feed lips (slightly) to avoid nose high feeds. Do all that and it is reliable. Ish. I would never trust this for anything important unless it was my only option.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234