Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Pistol 101 Review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Grant;
    I can't thank you enough, It was indeed a humbling experience.. I learned I'm nowhere near as good as I thought I was..I picked up a few things, I can't wait until the next class.Needless to say, I want/need to learn more. I will say the 10-10-10 drill caused me to reevaluate my choice of a ccw, I noticed twice during the drill I missed the trigger reset, Had this been for real, I would have been in trouble..Anyway I'm going to practice the 10-10-10 drill with my M&P9 and pit it against what I was using, (P-2000 LEM),After I got home last night, I measured the triggers on both from all the way back in the triggerguard to the reset point, and the M&P has the HK beat...badly.. ditto from the reset point to sear engagement, I figure I'll get a good idea which is better when shooting live ammo..The ruler told me plenty..
    Last edited by ralph; 04-20-10 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Grant;
    I can't thank you enough, It was indeed a humbling experience.. I learned I'm nowhere near as good as I thought I was..I picked up a few things, I can't wait until the next class.Needless to say, I want/need to learn more. I will say the 10-10-10 drill caused me to reevaluate my choice of a ccw, I noticed twice during the drill I missed the trigger reset, Had this been for real, I would have been in trouble..Anyway I'm going to practice the 10-10-10 drill with my M&P9 and pit it against what I was using, (P-2000),After I got home last night, I measured the triggers on both from all the way back in the triggerguard to the reset point, and the M&P has the HK beat...badly.. ditto from the reset point to sear engagement, I figure I'll get a good idea which is better when shooting live ammo..The ruler told me plenty..

Glad you enjoyed it and learned something.

We commonly believe that we are better than we are. Shooting in groups/classes will often show you where you are in relation to where you THINK you are. This is a good thing.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-20-10 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    One of the things I noticed during the ball and dummy drill was that most people only know their gun and are NOT familiar with other type and brands of weapons.

For instance, I had an XD shooter coupled with an HK USP shooter. The XD shooter had ZERO idea on how to get the mag out. His partner told him that it was on the triggerguard and turned back around. I watched this guy attempt to break the triggerguard with his thumb as he pushed down on it (at the wrong spot). Even after I came up and pointed out where it was, he still spent another 2 minutes fumbling with it and eventually got it (dumping the mag on the deck).

After that mess was over, I told him to make sure to decock it before handing it back. You would have thought I was asking him to build a rocket ship right there on the range as he was NEVER going to find it. After 5 minutes of messing around with this HK, he looked back at me and said, "I think I will stick with my XD." I thought to myself, I wouldn't.

Of course we had a mix of 1911's (mostly those little micro Springfield thingy's), XD's, one or two Glock's, over ten M&P's, one High-Power, one Taurus 24/7's, one Sigma, two HK's and.........wait for it......Para Warthog (which didn't run).

I think that some form of a "battlefield pick-up" drill will be happening at a later class so people can learn about other weapon platforms.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-20-10 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Battlefield pickup drill?? This ought to be a hoot...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the info on the drill, Grant. I will give that a try.

I really do like the ball and dummy drill. El Snatcho - he taunts me.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Did all of the Glocks break? Did you hand out complimentary M&Ps when they did?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Did all of the Glocks break? Did you hand out complimentary M&Ps when they did?
    No, but they also only shot 15rds and didn't have any lights attached to them.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wish I could have made it out. I am still hoping you do a Saturday class.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Pretty impressive and they are some very fortunate people.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911pro View Post
    Wish I could have made it out. I am still hoping you do a Saturday class.
    Carbine is next (4/30/10) 5-7.

C4

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast