Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which .223 dies... specifically for semi-auto

Feedback Score

Which .223 dies... specifically for semi-auto

I have a decent amount of experience and have had good sucess over the years hand loading, but it has been exclusively for use in bolt guns. I've got a upper on order from Monty which should b ready sometime in the near future. I think I'm going to get into loading 77gr OTM rounds for it and was wondering what dies are preferred for loading semi auto specific ammo?

Also, does anyone know a part number or where I can buy Nosler 77gr with. cannelure?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like Dillon .223 carbide die set. I can't really say I've tried anything else. But I've read that the carbide resizer is slicker and resizes brass with less effort.

Plus... since you're dealing with an auto loader that flings brass into the dirt, it's nice to have a die that's hard enought to handle debris that got overlooked or didn't come off in the tumbler.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I like Dillon .223 carbide die set. I can't really say I've tried anything else. But I've read that the carbide resizer is slicker and resizes brass with less effort.

Plus... since you're dealing with an auto loader that flings brass into the dirt, it's nice to have a die that's hard enought to handle debris that got overlooked or didn't come off in the tumbler.
    Mark can you tell me if the .223 dillon carbide sizer die is a small base die?
    Seems that I remember reading some where on dillons web site that they make there dies small base.
    If I can find ill post a link.

Link http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillo...-98-14-311.htm
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 04-24-10 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chmd View Post
    I have a decent amount of experience and have had good sucess over the years hand loading, but it has been exclusively for use in bolt guns. I've got a upper on order from Monty which should b ready sometime in the near future. I think I'm going to get into loading 77gr OTM rounds for it and was wondering what dies are preferred for loading semi auto specific ammo?

Also, does anyone know a part number or where I can buy Nosler 77gr with. cannelure?

Thanks.
    Small Base dies are recommended for semi-auto's and pump action rifles. I've heard people say that they don't use em and don't have any trouble. Personally, I use an RCBS small base die.

I don't know if you're gonna find a Nosler 77 gr. OTM with a cannelure. If it's made, I haven't seen it. I know you can find a 77 grain Sierra Match King with a cannelure, but in my searching that's it. I use both the Nosler 77 and Hornady 75 grain. I crimp *most* of the time (lightly) but have found that my non crimped rounds do fine as well. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i had no issues with standard lee full length resizing dies. when i get back into AR's i'll probably switch to a carbide die though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The only time I have seen Nosler 77gr with cannelures is directly from their website.

I use standard RCBS dies and have never had a sizing issues as long as I adjusted the dies right.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use the Dillon .223 dies. As far as if they are small base or not, I am not sure, I want to say they are marked sb, but I cant remember. I can look on Tuesday when I get home.

Either way I load exclusively for the AR15 with these and have loaded and shot a few thousand rounds with no issues(everything from 40g varmit up to 75g Sierra match kings).

Feedback Score
    Small base dies are a solution to a specific problem, not a solution for all semi-auto rifles. I have never used or owned SB die set nor do I think they are needed.

I would recommend a Redding die set with a carbide button. Carbide buttons or dies for bottle neck cartridges still need sizing lube. I would also recommend an RCBS precision mic case gauge. You can then zero your case setback to SAAMI or +-.002 setback for your rifle only.

Nothing wrong with RCBS dies also, I just like Redding and keep all mine the same in case I need emergency parts. Those parts are already in my other die sets.

Feedback Score
    I use a standard RCBS full length sizing die, never had any issues.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Dies and reload compatibility

Depending on the weapon you don't NEED small base dies.

Should you have a generous GI MILSPEC chamber (i.e., a genuine Colt, FN, or equivalent) the brass from those expended cartridges will be fine full-length resized IN THAT OR ANOTHER MILSPEC CHAMBERED WEAPON.

Should you own another rifle or carbine with a tighter commercial or match chamber then full-length sized rounds may be TOO FAT above the extractor rim to safely chamber in tighter precision chambers and you run the risk of slamfires -- been there, done that (i.e., M16A4 and M4 to National Match M16A2).

Small base dies help ensure your cases are closer to OEM virgin brass dimensions to give you peace of mind your reloads are safe and compatible in ALL your weapons.
    Last edited by sinister; 04-25-10 at 23:21.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast