Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My interpretation of the new lightweight/KISS trend.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

My interpretation of the new lightweight/KISS trend.

Hey guys,

G&R tactical put together a new upper for me this weekend. It is a DD lightweight barrel, DD receiver and BCG. I forgot to order a charging handle so I have a no-name one in there until I decide if I want something else. Anyway, it has a DD light rail (7) and I am running a X200 at 3 o'clock. I was aware of the current trend towards 12 O'clock mounts, but I am not yet a convert I was looking to minimize the amount of railestate on this one. Of course I put my old DD fixed sight, which I love, back on my rifle. I put the thing on my old Colt Tactical lower. You will notice I put an A1 grip and a standard M4 stock on the gun. I am undecided on a sling, but will probably go with the Vickers.

I ordered a T1 mount but I haven't decided whether to replace my M4. The M4 is heavier, but I think it is a better all-around RDS. It is 2 MOA, and it takes batteries that are very available. I also like the larger aperture. I have always been one of those "keep both eyes open and it isn't an issue" guys. But, when I was in a shoothouse the weekend before last I noticed that the M4 was easier to acquire from ready. I am not knocking the T1, I have on on my 416, but I am thinking I might sell it and get another M4.

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I moved the M4 up a notch. I wanted it back as far as possible, but didn't like the idea of it bumping against the rear sight.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Beautiful carbine, Greg!!!

By going with a Micro T1, you could drop the weight by another 1/3 pound .... doesn't sound like much but you can definately feel the weight difference in your hands.

A Micro T1 in a LaRue mount is 6.4 oz ..... M4 / M4S in a LaRue mount is 12.8 oz

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Grumble, grumble. Yeah, I know. Heck, with the Daniel Defense mount (which I already own!) It would be even lighter. I am considering it. The question is, is 6 or so 0z worth the smaller aperture, the larger dot, and the shorter battery life?

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Clean build! Is that an hk mag? Using gi mags will also save you a little weight. Got any numbers for us?
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Grumble, grumble. Yeah, I know. Heck, with the Daniel Defense mount (which I already own!) It would be even lighter. I am considering it. The question is, is 6 or so 0z worth the smaller aperture, the larger dot, and the shorter battery life?
    Honestly, I'd say yes. I find the micro to be fast. The 4 moa can be even faster then the 2 moa in cqb situations. I've not noticed aperature size affecting my speed, personally. As for battery life, that's virtually a non-issue with all new aimpoints, in my opinion. Being that it'll be so light, I think you'll come to greatly appreciate it, especially during multi day carbine courses.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Naw, it is a black D&H mags.

I have a T1 on my short rifle, and I haven't noticed the dot being any easier to pick up. Each of them can be turned up to obnoxious intensity. I have, however, noticed the 4moa being a bit of a pain for 200 yard shots.

Hell, I don't know. Maybe I should flip a coin.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I hear ya. I do this from my phone, so it's hard to see the details. Yeah, I suppose either way you can't go wrong. Let us know either way. I'd like to see the total weight.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Nice gun Greg. Would have came in handy in the class last week.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Battery life would be of no consequence: the only argument is the availability of AAs over CR2034s.

The 2MOA dot is an advantage, but I'd say the weight would be more of a consideration on the already lightweight rifle. If you were running a medium contour 16", then the CompM4, but for a lightweight setup, I'd say the H-1 would be worth it.

If you're not running NV, go H-1. Save a touch more money, and that's one of the few other areas the CompM4 really takes the lead. Otherwise, the smaller tube isn't a disadvantage.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast