Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LWRC's new 7.62...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Brass flying? Come on...does that show up on IR or something?
    It's actually a dead giveaway to a sniper position if the sun, moon or other light glints off the brass.

The human eye is extremely sensitive to movement, and light glinting off off brass is perceived fairly easily if looking in that general direction -- even in peripheral vision.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    It's actually a dead giveaway to a sniper position if the sun, moon or other light glints off the brass.

The human eye is extremely sensitive to movement, and light glinting off off brass is perceived fairly easily if looking in that general direction -- even in peripheral vision.

Correct. Just to add to that, the human eye can see moving light three times faster than it can stationary/solid light. So I think it's pretty safe to assume that a .308 casing flying would probably grab your attention.

On another note, did I mention the SABR has over the beach mods? The more I read about this gun, the more impressed I am by what these guys are rolling off the assembly line!

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post

In addition, even "sterile" brass can be an indicator of who was there (at the shooter's poition).

Feedback Score
    I like the FAL charging handle. With the side charging, that's gonna keep a lot of gas out of the shooter face when suppressed. I've had two AR10T's suppressed. The first needed a Gasbuster to be comfortable. The second was o.k., but still put a bit of gas in your face through the CH area. I'd like to put one of these rifles through the paces at long range. My AR10's were lasers. I wonder how the gas piston design performs out past 500 yards.

Feedback Score
    While useful, I would hardly call a gas-shut off feature 'innovative'

M14, FN-FAL, MAS 49/56 all have them as standard.......

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Please tell me LWRC didn't make those captions for those pics. "Sniper Assaulter?" Good lord....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tspeis View Post
    I like it!!!!

I'd sell my SA58 FAL in a heartbeat if these prove to be reliable and robust...

But I think a COMPACT ACOG is the wrong choice (watch that eye with 7.62 recoil)... a TA-11 would be perfect.

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Please tell me LWRC didn't make those captions for those pics. "Sniper Assaulter?" Good lord....
    They did. However, Sniper Assaulter is part of what SABR stands for. Snipier Assaulter Battle Rifle. To make a long story short, it's basically a system with two uppers and one lower. One 12" upper and one "20 upper. The idea was for the operator to be able to deploy an assaulter carbine with the 20" upper in a pack on his back. When mission dictates, he can simply swap uppers and go from an assaulter role to a sniper role.

Tspeis

Feedback Score

Here's the barrel nut/rail mount setup with the 3 position gas regulator on a 20" SABR.

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    Some specs on the gun. Keep in mind these could change and there are still more specs to be released.

- Method of operation: Short stroke piston operated, 3 position gas regulator with on/off/suppressed settings
    - Weight: 8.5lbs for the 12.5" model, 12.6lbs for the 20" model, 16" model TBA
    - Receiver: Billet with a switch to forged receivers later in the year, side charging handle, standard rear charging handle optional
    - Chamber: 7.62x51mm NATO
    - Barrel: 12.5", 16.1", and 20" lengths, cold hammer forged, electropolished, honed and salt bath nitrocarburized inside and out, polygonal rifling, 1/10 twist, 1/11 twist optional
    - Magazine: SR25/DPMS pattern mags
    - Warranty: Limited Lifetime
    - Price: To be announced

Few things on the gun. The barrel nut/rail mount is made of steel and locks and sets the same way a Savage barrel is mounted to the receiver. The 20" sniper barrel is a Remington 700P profile. All steel parts are nitrocarburized for OTB operation. Nitrocarburizing parts makes them longer wearing, more lubricious, and more corrosion resistant than hard chrome. The upper and lower receivers are proprietary with the lower allowing for just about any AR15 trigger group to drop in. Service life on the barrels is still in the air but my guess from what I've been told is somewhere in the area of 30,000 rounds. The SABR will have a full auto bolt carrier included and can be run the way it is on a standard USGI trigger group. LWRC says they could also incorporate their open bolt auto feature into the lower for end users who are interested. I'll post more details as they're released.

Tspeis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast