Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Tailor Extended Range Operator Pack

Feedback Score

Tactical Tailor Extended Range Operator Pack

I've been searching for a pack for a few years now, that was bigger than a typical 3 day type pack, but didnt want something big enough to put a fullsize refridgerator in. Something in the 3k-4k CU range, give or take. I've looked around at the usual suspects, and while I like some of them, I just couldnt quite find exactly what I wanted. All of my longer range rucking has been done with my old issue ALICE pack. I wanted something more comfortable than that.
    I found out earlier this year that Tactical Tailor was coming out with a new line of rucks, and was instantly excited. I've been a huge Tactical Tailor fan for some years now. Their gear is some of the best in my opinion, not only in quality of construction but in design and engineering as well. Enter their new line of Elite Operator Series Packs. The Extended Range Operator Pack instantly caught my attention, and after looking over the details on their website as soon as I saw they were up, I placed an order for one in Coyote. Finally got it in and thought I'd throw up a few initial thoughts on it. You can read most of the technical details about it here. I havent used it yet obviously, but, my initial impressions from just giving it a once over and test fitting, I am VERY impressed with it. It doesnt have all the bells and whistles of some brands/models, but, it has just enough for my taste.
    Its an internal frame pack with an interesting clamshell type opening, but can be used like a top loader. There are dual direction zippers that run about 2/3rds of the way down each side. This allows you to access the main compartment from the top, or the sides. It has an external pouch on top, 2 mesh pockets on each side of the main compartment, as well as a mesh pouch and enclosed pouch on the inside of the lid. There is a seperate pouch for a hydration bladder. There is a hidden pouch on the top that contains a pull out VS-17 type marker panel for emergencies. The bottom is lined with a similar material to make finding things in the bottom a bit easier. The shoulder straps are nicely padded, as is the waist belt, and have QR buckles at the adjustment points. The waist belt is not removeable, but does have a couple of columns/rows of MOLLE webbing. The sternum strap is very easily adjusted for position. The shoulder straps, waist belt, and back area are all covered with breathable mesh, and the back is nicely padded with a air channel running down the centerline.
    The oustide of the pack itself obviously has MOLLE webbing on each side and down the back, and there are a total of 6 compression straps. Plenty of expansion capability via user added external pouches. One thing that I really like, is how all the hardware such as the buckles, zippers, etc., is all color matched. To many other brands skimp in my opinion and simply use black hardware across the board, regardless of the pack color. TT also add's 550 cord pulls to all the zippers. This not only makes opening and closing them easier, but helps to silence them as well. These small touches may go unnoticed by some, or may be of little interest to others. To me, they say alot about TT's attention to detail. I'm sure I've missed something, so I'll be happy to try and answer any questions. Here are some initial pics. I plan to take some additional shots along side a few other packs just for size comparison, as well as add some more thoughts once I have a chance to load it up and get out with it some.

Shoulder straps and back area.

Waist Belt.

Load lifters on top of the shoulder straps, and a excellent low profile carry handle.

Side view.

Top view.

Top zippered pouch.

Front view.

Top view again.

VS-17 panel.

Lower bungee attatchment points of the VS-17 panel.

External pocket...one on each side.

Bottom view.

Side access.

4 internal mesh pockets.

Bottom inside view.

Inside lid view, mesh pocket and zippered pocket.

Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    I like that bag I didn't know that TT has products like that I live near one I'm going to get one now, Thanks man!

Feedback Score
    Couple of pics just for size comparison/reference.....

With my Mystery Ranch 3 day/Assault pack.

With my old ALICE pack.

All 3.

Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very nice pack!

I think the old ALICE packs crippled more young adults than MS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Very nice pack!

I think the old ALICE packs crippled more young adults than MS.
    From talking to a couple of orthopedists who have been around the block with whom I have spoken, with when they see the combination of a compressed lumbar region and hyper extended cervical region of the spine the first words out of their mouths may very well be something along the lines of: "Were you in the Military?" or "Were you in the Army / USMC?" or "were you a grunt?".

Yeah I have first hand experience with this

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yup. 0331 here, former Misguided Child.

I'm past the half-century mark now, and my MD says the same things. I just smile back and say "Doc, I'm alive. Every day above ground is a victory."

And I bet yer deaf, too, right?

We now return you to your previously-scheduled thread, already in progress.

Feedback Score
    Pack looks nice enough and TT have a good rep. Personally, I always question long zippers on "luggage" though 'cos if a zipper fails you can have skivvies and socks all over the place. I would have another compression strap between the two that are already there....just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'm past the half-century mark now, and my MD says the same things. I just smile back and say "Doc, I'm alive. Every day above ground is a victory."

And I bet yer deaf, too, right?
    Can we start a forum sub-group.

Feedback Score
    At the time we called the ALICE large "kidney killers". But the truth is 40 years later we all have spinal compression disease.

91Bravo medic.

Feedback Score
    Any idea what the TT Extended Operator pack weighs. I saw 3000 cu in. It looks good as a long distance pack if it doesn't weigh too much. ie < 5 lbs.
    Last edited by 91Bravo; 06-12-10 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I just got my Extended Operator pack and Removable Operator pack. Small one mounts perfectly to my TT MAV Super X harness and to the bigger pack. Both are comfortable and excellent construction. Now to get out in the field and test them out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast