Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    We experienced two failures-to-reset today with our PTC gun.
    This doesn't suprise me. The trigger bar needs a small amount of tweaking. If the owner is going to be at the shoot this weekend, I would like to see the gun.

C4

Feedback Score
    Wayne I read you anywhere I spot that handle. And I think I've seen you trying to crack this nut on Enos's MakuMozo place. Me too. My M&P Pro 9 is a glorious shooter and I shoot ever speed drill better than probably any gun I've handled except maybe a P7. And I've been shooting Glock 9's mostly for close to 15 years.

But it will not group slowfire of a rest for shit. I've tried a half dozen loads and haven't seen anything under 4" for 5 shots. Now I'm not loosing too much sleep over it cause for the "action" format of my gun games, it is delivering better hits than anything else but still. I'm sorta OCD about accurate pistols. I am most hopeful about the rough bores and that this can lap itself out in enough rounds.

As posted in my 2K round test report on this board, mine sailed through until the very end when I had two failure to resets at or about 2K rounds.

Cycled fine, went to fire again and the trigger was just swinging loose. Racked a new round and off it went. Both times.

Theories range from the insights attributed to G4 above about sears to gunk build up in the striker channel - which I hope to hell is my story. I can live with cleaning it every 1K rounds.

Joe
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have 2 full size M&P .45s. I have had issues with one.

MPRXXXX
    - Date Code April 2007
    - Approximately 600 rounds of various factory 230 grain FMJ without incident.
    - Sent the pistol to S&W for the M&P package (primarily for the PC sear) and Massachusetts trigger spring in order to improve trigger pull and reset.
    - Received gun back. Fired 100 rounds of factory 230 grain FMJ. 17 times the trigger failed to reset. If I press checked the gun, the trigger would reset, and I could continue to fire.
    - Sent the gun back to S&W. They replaced the striker and fired 60 rounds without incident.
    - Received gun back. Fired 50 rounds of factory 230 grain FMJ. 2 times the trigger failed to reset. Press checked the gun, trigger reset, and I fired the cartridge.
    - Sent the gun back to S&W. They replaced all fire control components. Two individuals fired a total of 100 rounds through the gun without incident.
    - Received gun back. First outing I fired 100 rounds of 230 grain factory ammo without incident. Second outing I fired 200 rounds of 230 grain factory without incident.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    After reading subzero's post, my M&P9 is the same.

For the longest time, I thought I was physically unable to execute a perfect trigger press because the front sight often moved. Upon further examination, my slide shifts a bit sideways on the frame when the trigger is pulled. My M&P45 does the same thing.
    That is so annoying. I've tinkered with mine for hours trying to figure out how to address this without putting in some WECSOG overtravel stop or some such BS. I can adjust the initial contact point to reduce creep, I can reduce or polish surfaces to lessen trigger weight, but I can't figure out how to make this go away.

BTW, both M&Ps I have in the house right now (MPF and MPJ) have solid pins. They are older guns. So Grant, if old guns have solid pins, and the new guns you have in your shop have solid pins, when do the one year old guns with roll pins (and new extractors) actually hit the shelves? I'm confused.

ETA: I missed the post where Grant talked to the factory rep. I guess it's about as clear as mud, eh?

This is the first striker I broke along with another 1st gen I pulled from a gun with less than 200 rds through it (I replaced it with one with a polished face). Why S&W thought the neck down behind the fat part was a good thing, I don't know.

Last edited by subzero; 04-28-10 at 17:20.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have experienced failures to extract with my M&P9 which I bought factory new in the Spring of 2009. I did not have that many, but enough to make me concerned. It typically happened around once every 200-400 rounds. It happened with several different brands of ammo, including Barnual Brass cased, Winchester +P+ 127 grain JHP, Winchester Whitebox and American Eagle.

What would typically happen is the case would remain almost completely in the chamber with only the rim sticking out. I had heard this was because S&W used the same extractor for the 9mm as they did for the 40. I had the extractor replaced with the new Apex, and as of today I have about 2200 rounds through the gun with the new Apex extractor without a single recurance of this issue.

It seems to vary from gun to gun in terms of existance and severity.

The factory triggers seem to vary with these guns. The first time I shot an M&P45 it had a horrible factory trigger so that the groups I shot with it side by side my HK USP40 (the USP shot single action) looked like the before and after from someone who had taken a Vickers course. Then I tried one with a Bowie trigger job and it was much better--so I ultimately wound up buying one.

Similar story with the M&P9. I tried a friends with the factory trigger and it was horrible. When shooting plates I did much better with his Colt series 80 1911, even thought the Colt had tiny factory sights while the S&W M&P9's sights were the standard high profile fare. After seeing the Bowie trigger job on the .45 I picked one up in 9mm.

Two weekends ago I fired a friend's M&P40. This gun had an amazing trigger right from the factory to the point that if I owned one I would not be concerned with getting a trigger job.

After hearing of people's experiences with breaking strikers during dry fire, I only dry fire my M&Ps with a snapcap present.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 04-28-10 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Good question. I called my LE Rep and asked him about the pins being used. It appears that S&W mights have used different pins throughout 2006-2008 depending on what they had available.
    I see. I had up until now assumed that solid pin indicated an old extractor and a hollow pin indicated a newer extractor. This clears things up a bit.

The Pro models just means that they have different sights and sear. Nothing to do with the extractor.
    You're right. I had forgotten that standard length Pros were now available. The problem guns were all 5" models. The 5" 9mms (not necessarily Pros) were what I had noticed (and heard) to be more problematic than the standard length guns. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

We just sold out of the strikers, but have more coming and have ordered complete assemblies.

C4
    Good to know. Plan to order a spare.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have experienced numerous broken strikers with 9mm M&P's. None were the new "Gen 5", but each was the "newest" version at the time and were advertised as "Safe for Dry Fire" by S&W reps. Sadly none could actually do it and all broke with catastrophic results. Oddly enough the early "Gen1" version held up the longest. Hence our reservations on any claims the "Gen5" is the answer until it holds up over time and a substantial number of guns.
    Last edited by VA_Dinger; 04-28-10 at 17:21.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My experience

M&P .45 Full size
    purchased shortly after they became available
    MPRXXXX

Multiple FTE's in the first 300 rounds, factory loads
    Sent back to S&W where they polished the ramp and replaced the extractor. This all happened years ago so its difficult to recall all of the details. And since S&W solved the problem I've put it out of my mind.
    1.5K rounds later and its been flawless, eats everything I put in it

It also auto forwards. So your slide catch sparks my curiosity Grant.

North of the border between the US and Miami
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I see. I had up until now assumed that solid pin indicated an old extractor and a hollow pin indicated a newer extractor. This clears things up a bit.

You're right. I had forgotten that standard length Pros were now available. The problem guns were all 5" models. The 5" 9mms (not necessarily Pros) were what I had noticed (and heard) to be more problematic than the standard length guns. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Good to know. Plan to order a spare.
    I have the new Pro standard length 9mm. Aghhhh!!!!! That's what I have to say about that. I've replaced everything with the awesome Apex parts and I'm still having issues. Thank god Randy is working with me on this issue. I've had ejections/extraction problems from day one with ALL ammo brands and different grains.

If I had to do it over again with my M&Ps (the Pro 9mm and a mid-size .45 sent in to get the Performance Package). I would skip the PC stuff and go directly the Apex route with standard guns. Apex works much better in my humble opinion.

I also had horrible FTE with the .45 before it went to Smith for the PC package. Afterwards it worked but I had trouble with WWB (which of course is my agency's choice of practice rounds). It went away after about 1000 rds. Smith polished the shit out of the chamber so I suspect that helped.

I love the guns but I wouldn't recommend them to the average shooter/cop out of the box if you didn't know what you were doing.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So, does S&W send out the new strikers for free if you have problems?

Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast