Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: The S&W M&P problem thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mac View Post
    But 27 pages of "issues" is a clue.
    27 pages of "issues" like my accuracy "issue" I suppose. My complaint was that the pistol doesn't have match (literally) grade accuracy. If you think this thread is 27 pages of wall-to-wall complaints about how the M&P shit the bed and doesn't work, you should probably re-read it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sick people and M&Ps...interesting comparison.

I disagree in that this is NOT a thread about people having problems, its about a particular model of firearm that is having problems. And while a similar thread could be started about any other firearm, the fact that those threads don't abound is telling. Were this a "problem with the 1911" thread, I could understand it as there are about 50 different manufacturers of 1911s and about twice that many parts manufactures in about a half a dozen countries.

And while Glocks have certainly had their problems, they seem far more limited and adequately addressed by the sole company that produces them. So it would seemingly follow that the sole company that produces the M&P should address they myriad of problems that 'plague' the M&P. Of course, the M&P hasn't been out nearly as long as the Glock, so that may be understandable. I'm not a Glockaholic by any means - far from it.

I want to be a fan of the M&P and see it succeed since it is an American pistol. It just seems it may have been released before it was 'done', which means it isn't quite the 'product improved' Glock that it is sometimes touted to be. Could be a reason that its not pushed by the likes of Vickers or Hackathorn.

I am well aware of what Mr. Yam carries on a daily basis.
    I shoot and sell M&P's. I have never had any issues with mine and can count on one hand the number of problems I have ever seen.

I think people often forget two things when on the error net. They generally only post negatives (not positives) and the number of pistols that S&W sells. Their return rate is very low compared to the numbers they sell.

When we talk about improvements to the Glock, yes this is what S&W did when they designed the pistol. Did they do it? Yes. Did they and have they run into issues? Sure have.

Speaking of Ken and LAV, they think highly of the M&P, own them and shoot them. Do they also shoot and own the G19 & G17? Yep.

Speaking of Hackathorn, he told me an interesting story on the phone last week. He was shooting at a match and there was a female shooter running a G19 (Gen 3). Also at this match was the regional Glock rep. He had with him a Gen 4 G19. Ken asked if the woman could shoot it. He agreed and the the lady attempted to run some rounds through the gun. She had several stovepipes with it. The Glock rep said that she was most likely limp wristing the gun. There was just one problem with this theory. The woman just completed the match with zero malfunctions using her G19.

Point of the story? All manufacturers put out lemons, have bad runs and or issues. Even companies that have been making the same pistol since the 80's.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-15-10 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Well said. And what I see in their holsters in the majority of pics speaks volumes.
    Ken and LAV aren't like most other instructors. They generally use the pistol that they think they will commonly see in a class. So I have done CQB classes with them where they used 1911's. I have been to advanced classes where they used both the Glock and M&P.

I didn't say it was fundamentally flawed. I speculated that it perhaps wasn't quite baked and ready for prime time upon its release.
    How bout the Glock when it was first released? Was it ready for prime time? The M&P is easily the number two pistol sold and used by LE in this country AND might pass the Glock in number of units sold to LE in the coming years. So I am not sure how any could make such a statement.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 08-15-10 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good information Grant. Thanks for the response...puts things in a better perspective.

Feedback Score
    I could fill many pages of "Problems with a 1911" posts just from SOing IDPA matches.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RojasTKD View Post
    Well, I just aquired a used M&P 40 at the gun show for $389 (demo gun) and hope I don't have any issues as i don't have a warrenty. If it goes well I may use it as a duty weapon down the road.

Serial # MPJ8XXX... in case that helps.

How difficult is it to install the Apex parts? Witch parts are recomended?
    I'd shoot a couple hundred rounds to see if the stock sear/trigger is good for you. The M&P triggers are subjective IMHO. Two of the four M&Ps that I own had nice trigger breaks and resets. The other two were horribly gritty with crappy trigger break and hard to determine the reset point. I left the .45 alone since I liked the trigger. I replaced 3 of the four with just the Apex sear and it was like shooting a completely different weapon with a 4.5lb trigger.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 08-15-10 at 20:03.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I'd shoot a couple hundred rounds to see if the stock sear/trigger is good for you. The M&P triggers are subjective IMHO. Two of the four M&Ps that I own had nice trigger breaks and resets. The other two were horribly gritty with crappy trigger break and hard to determine the reset point. I left the .45 alone since I liked the trigger. I replaced 3 of the four with just the Apex sear and it was like shooting a completely different weapon with a 4.5lb trigger.
    Thanks for the input. I'll try yo shoot it some this week or next and she how it goes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think some folks are missing the title of this thread.

The S&W M&P problem thread .

If your M&P is having a problem then let's discuss here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just finished my first session with my new M&P 45. Only had time for 150 rounds of WWB. No problems whatsoever. I haven't installed my Apex Hard Sear and wanted to try out the stock sear, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. My one issue is the slide release is very tight. I had to manhandle the thing and depress with two fingers majority of the time. Is that just a new gun thing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wl518 View Post
    Just finished my first session with my new M&P 45. Only had time for 150 rounds of WWB. No problems whatsoever. I haven't installed my Apex Hard Sear and wanted to try out the stock sear, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. My one issue is the slide release is very tight. I had to manhandle the thing and depress with two fingers majority of the time. Is that just a new gun thing?
    My buddy's M&P 45 didn't display that problem at all, maybe a detail strip and cleaning would do some good? Maybe something's off spec or installed improperly from the factory...
    "I just can't believe we're going to walk into certain death. " - Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects

Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast